You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-08 19:16:33

moetunes

Why no more _BSD_SOURCE ?

make wrote:

/usr/include/features.h:148:3: warning: #warning "_BSD_SOURCE and _SVID_SOURCE are deprecated, use _DEFAULT_SOURCE"

This will make it hard to have an application work in different linux's.

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#2 2015-08-08 19:39:02

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Why no more _BSD_SOURCE ?

From upstream NEWS

The _BSD_SOURCE and _SVID_SOURCE feature test macros are no longer supported; they now act the same as _DEFAULT_SOURCE (but generate a warning).  Except for cases where _BSD_SOURCE enabled BSD interfaces that conflicted with POSIX (support for which was removed in 2.19), the interfaces those macros enabled remain available when compiling with _GNU_SOURCE defined, with _DEFAULT_SOURCE defined, or without any feature test macros defined.

If you think this is a problem, report it upstream as this is not an archlinux packaging issue.

As for making it hard to work in different linuxes - can't you just use a conditional compile check on what glibc is being used?

Mod note: this definitely doesn't seem to be a pacman issue.  The only way this should matter to an archer is if they are trying to write programs that will run on different distros.  So "Programming and Scripting" seems a better fit.  Moved.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2015-08-08 20:01:14

progandy

You can always define _BSD_SOURCE and _SVID_SOURCE in addition to _DEFAULT_SOURCE to suppress the warning.
Edit: Still, the configure script is the perfect place to define these macros and detecting the glibc version should be not too difficult.

Last edited by progandy (2015-08-08 20:10:55)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#4 2015-08-08 20:43:13

moetunes

The way I found out about the change had me thinking it was build chain issue. The price people pay for using bleeding edge...
Thanks for advice on remedying the situation.

Can you let me know when you move a thread like this. Twice...

You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

#5 2015-08-08 21:34:28

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I moved this thread once.  And I put a notice in my post when I moved it.

I doubt you could have trouble finding your own thread.  Use the "Posted" link to see your own thread.  Or even on the new/active threads this would have been very near the top.

If you want individualized emails whenever there is activity on your thread, subscribe to your own threads.  If you want me to personally send you an email every time something happens with one of your threads - then no, wake the f*** up, the world doesn't revolve around you.

Seriously, you've been around here far too long to be double posting, losing your own posts, and making requests like this.  Did someone totally new to this community take over the 'moetunes' account?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer