You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-09 00:59:14

j.tran4418

[SOLVED] Multiple graphical things are slow after updating dotfiles

After I updated my dotfiles using a dotfile repo I keep (https://github.com/hjtran/dotfiles) a lot of things became really slow. Opening xfce4-terminal takes awhile before finally coming up but the terminal itself is still quick (as in running commands and what not). The top bar of the terminal is also excruciatingly slow (clicking File, Edit, View... etc). Opening Chrome is still speedy. Thunar has also become very sluggish. Clicking through folders takes forever and the top File,Edit... bar is also super slow. Opening gvim has also gotten very slow.

For troubleshooting, I figured since it happened right after running my dotfiles script, I replaced the new dotfiles with the defaults from /etc/ but to no avail. I also tried reinstalling xfce4-terminal and thunar but also no luck. Not really sure what to try next. Another interesting clue is that for some reason my .bash_profile no longer had exec i3 at the end of it so when I rebooted for the first time after installing the dotfiles my X didn't start and I had to update it. Do these clues point to anything obvious?

EDIT: Sorry, misspoke, meant that bash_profile didn't have startx, not exec i3, which is actually in xinitrc like it's supposed to be.

EDIT: I should also mention that the default i3-sensible terminal runs speedily and with no problems

EDIT: Figured it out! Sort of... I installe xfce4-taskmanager and clicked on things that would slow down the system and noticed that pulseaudio was spawning a ton of processes for some reason. I removed pulseaudio and now everything is back to normal! Going to have to figure out pulseaudio but that's another issue.

Last edited by j.tran4418 (2015-08-09 03:18:41)

#2 2015-08-09 01:03:49

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Multiple graphical things are slow after updating dotfiles

j.tran4418 wrote:

Another interesting clue is that for some reason my .bash_profile no longer had exec i3 at the end of it...

You are doing ti wrong. You start X apps from .xinitrc, not your .bash_profile...

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-08-09 02:52:53

j.tran4418

Sorry, misspoke. My bash_profile has startx and exec i3 is actually at the end of xinitrc like it's supposed to be.

#4 2015-08-09 03:18:52

j.tran4418

Figured it out! Sort of... I installe xfce4-taskmanager and clicked on things that would slow down the system and noticed that pulseaudio was spawning a ton of processes for some reason. I removed pulseaudio and now everything is back to normal! Going to have to figure out pulseaudio but that's another issue.

Board footer