You are not logged in.

#1 2006-03-28 20:59:36

mpie

Getting a xp-pen/genius graphics tablet to work

I cant believe how well this device works, it is smother and less erratic on arch than under XP (ooh the irony)

ok back on track, first you need the driver wizardpen-driver its in aur or my repo. Once it's installed you cat locate your device, usually a usb but some older versions are serial. this posting applies to the usb only, info on serial at the projects homepage.

so find out about your tablet
cat /proc/bus/input/devices

mine returned this

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=5543 Product=0004 Version=0000
N: Name="UC-LOGIC Tablet WP5540U"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.0-1/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input3
H: Handlers=mouse1 event3
B: EV=f
B: KEY=c01 0 3f0001 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: REL=303
B: ABS=100000f

this info is enough to get you going, however as your usb may get mapped differently on each boot it is considered better practice to create a udev rule to map teh device to /dev/tablet whenever it is detected.
here is mine

BUS="usb", SYSFS{serial}="0000:00:1d.0", KERNEL="event*", NAME="%k", SYMLINK="tablet"

info on locating sysfs serial no's in in the wiki so will not be addressed here, howeveryou can also use vendor or name rules.
once this is done restart udev and do ls /dev to check for /dev/tablet

the last peice of the jigsaw is configuring X

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "tablet"
   Driver          "wizardpen"
        Option          "Device"        "/dev/tablet"
         Option          "TopX"          "2803"
        Option          "TopY"          "2980"
        Option          "BottomX"       "30072"
        Option          "BottomY"       "29176"
        Option          "MaxX"          "30072"
        Option          "MaxY"          "29176"

#       Option  "Mode" "Relative"
        Option "SendCoreEvents" "true"
EndSection

two modes are supported relative or absolute ,the behaviour is the same as that of any other mouse
the TopX is my preference as i prefer to have access to the full screen.
But these option are for a 1024x768 screen with the 5x4 tablet, if you have a larger screen or tablet you will need to different values here. The goodnews is that there is a nifty program that comes with the driver to help with this.

wizardpen-calibrate /dev/tablet 

in a terminal will ask you to press one one corner then the opposite corner of your tablet and will return the correct values put these in your xorg.conf
the other part you will need to add is

InputDevice "tablet" "AlwaysCore"

this will mean that the pen or mouse from the tablet will overide any other mice (ps2) that you have on your system.
when this is done restart x and enjoy pressure sensitivity in the gimp...

the fab bit about this is these tablet are really cheap in comparion about £25 is uk sterling.
you can also remap the buttons with xmodmap if needs be but the defaults tend to suite, some of these tablet have buttons around the edge, I have heard that you can also map these using xev to get the co-ordinates but have not felt the need myself.

#2 2006-03-28 23:04:17

elasticdog
Website

Re: Getting a xp-pen/genius graphics tablet to work

Very cool...I've always wanted a graphics tablet, but thought WACOM's stuff was on the expensive side.  I might look into getting one of these sometime in the next couple of months.  Which model do you have specifically?  What type of stuff are you using it for?

#3 2006-03-28 23:29:10

mpie

It is called an xp-pen
Useful for touching up photo's and doodling backdrops....

the good thing is that it works just like a mouse, so any app that uses a mouse will respond to the pen...

gimp,inkscape,nvu....

twind,monsterz....

yep that may be sad but it is actually better for tile type games..
:oops:

#4 2006-03-28 23:58:57

elasticdog
Website

Ahhh, the xp-pen isn't made by Genius (which explains why I didn't see it on their site).  I take it that the same technique/drivers would work for the Genius tablets as well?  Thanks for the info!

#5 2006-03-29 00:17:03

mpie

yeah it's the geniuspen that it mentions on the drivers homepage and what the kernel see's the device as  is..
I: Bus=0003 Vendor=5543 Product=0004 Version=0000
N: Name="UC-LOGIC Tablet WP5540U"

#6 2019-02-12 20:34:04

juanpadan

Wow, 13 years later, this post let me configure my tablet, XP-Pen G430S. I just had to add the line:

ENV{ID_VENDOR_ID}=="28bd", ENV{ID_MODEL_ID}=="0075", ENV{x11_driver}="wizardpen"

to /etc/udev/rules.d/67-xorg-wizardpen.rules

Board footer