You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-11 12:15:57

coruun

Gnome search and tracker

Hi!

I have a problem with the Gnome search in the Activities view:

In the past, I always had several manuals (pdf) located in $HOME/documents and music was located in $HOME/music. Since the available disk space got smaller, I decided to move these files on a separate hdd mounted at /data.

Now, I have the problem that the Gnome search doesn't show the files in /data, although I enabled the folders in the search settings and also via tracker-preferences (I tried it several times and did a reset with tracker reset -rc). The most annoying fact is that a search with

$ tracker search -f
Files:
  file:///data/manuals
  file:///data/manuals/amsldoc.pdf
  file:///data/manuals/beameruserguide.pdf
  file:///data/manuals/pgfmanual.pdf
  file:///data/manuals/pgfplots.pdf
  file:///data/manuals/tikzscale.pdf

actually shows the files. Additionally, the files directly in $HOME can be found, although I disabled this directory.

Searching through the wiki, I found a note that the files have to by inside an XDG compliant directory. But due to the fact, that tracker can find the files, I'm not so sure if this is the actual reason.

Is there a way to search my files in /data?

#2 2015-09-03 23:53:45

Serge2702

Re: Gnome search and tracker

Not exactly a solution, but I'm in a similar situation. I have all my files in a different partition, inside this partition I have the usual folders (Documents, Images, etc). I replaced the folders at $HOME with simlinks pointing to the other ones.

#3 2015-09-07 18:56:40

coruun

This is interesting. I tried to put symlinks into the folders like $HOME/Music/data pointing to /data/music and enabled recursive search. However, it didn't work ...

#4 2015-09-12 23:42:54

arielinux

coruun wrote:

This is interesting. I tried to put symlinks into the folders like $HOME/Music/data pointing to /data/music and enabled recursive search. However, it didn't work ...

I am having exactly the same problem and haven't found a solution.

I also tried the symlink trick and it didn't work, I found the reason: tracker does NOT follow symlinks so the content behind the symlink doesn't get indexed.

Finally I tried updating the XDG "Documents" directory pointing it to my custom-located "documents" directory, using:

"xdg-user-dirs-update --set DOCUMENTS /media/whatever/path"

After a log out/log in, I could see that Nautilus took the new configuration. Also, Tracker indexed the content files.

However, search from the Overview still is unable to find these files in my documents directory sad

Last edited by arielinux (2015-09-13 00:11:31)

#5 2015-09-13 00:51:11

arielinux

Reply to self, here's a solution that works:

Configure tracker to index whatever directory you want to index.

Then add & activate the following extension to Gnome Shell:

https://github.com/hamiller/tracker-search-provider

For gnome 3.16 (fedora 22) be sure to pick the branch gnome_16

Restart the shell and voila

Board footer