You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-14 23:09:20

michaelgira

[SOLVED]letters missing from music I have imported from my iPod

Hello

I imported some music from my iPod to my music folder. However, some of the artist or song names would be missing letters.

For example, what should be:

Björk = Bj rk

Other songs or artist names from a different country like Russia or japan are missing whole names together.

Is there anyway i can fix this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by michaelgira (2015-08-15 19:13:35)

#2 2015-08-14 23:11:33

karol
Archivist

Re: [SOLVED]letters missing from music I have imported from my iPod

How did you import it? Where are you viewing the song names? What's the output of 'localectl'?

#3 2015-08-14 23:47:56

michaelgira

karol wrote:

How did you import it? Where are you viewing the song names? What's the output of 'localectl'?

I followed the arch wiki instructions for using gtkpod.

I've tried viewing through the terminal, ranger, and gmusicbrowser.

I've just noticed that in gmusicbrowser, it shows the names correctly. However, at the end where the filename is displayed, it shows the name incorrect.

#4 2015-08-15 00:40:24

michaelgira

karol wrote:

Sorry, forgot to add the output of the command.

$ localectl
   System Locale: n/a

VC Keymap: n/a
      X11 Layout: n/a

#5 2015-08-15 00:42:12

karol
Archivist

Read the wiki on how to set your locale.

#6 2015-08-15 02:32:18

michaelgira

karol wrote:

Read the wiki on how to set your locale.

Ah, when i installed arch it looks like i made a local.conf instead of locale.conf. Thanks.

However, I still seem to be getting missing characters.

localectl now gives me:

System Locale: LANG=en_US.UTF-8
       VC Keymap: n/a
      X11 Layout: n/a

Should i be adding the other languages to this as well? I'm a little unsure about this part.

#7 2015-08-15 02:40:09

karol
Archivist

Unfortunately I have no idea about iDevices and importing music, so I won't be of any help here.
The wiki says

You can choose the charset the ID3 tags are encoded in from within gtkpod. The default is the charset currently used by your locale setting.

If the tags are OK, you should be able to reconstruct the filenames. Can you view other filenames correctly? If you run e.g.

touch Björk

is it displayed properly in the terminal, in ranger etc.?

#8 2015-08-15 03:18:56

michaelgira

karol wrote:

Unfortunately I have no idea about iDevices and importing music, so I won't be of any help here.
The wiki says

You can choose the charset the ID3 tags are encoded in from within gtkpod. The default is the charset currently used by your locale setting.

If the tags are OK, you should be able to reconstruct the filenames. Can you view other filenames correctly? If you run e.g.

touch Björk

is it displayed properly in the terminal, in ranger etc.?

When i run

touch Björk

It created a file that displays the name correctly (both in terminal and ranger). I'm not too sure how to reconstruct all the file names, because there is quite a lot of music on the machine. Would it be best to just remove the music and then re-add it now that my locale is set correctly? Or maybe there is another way?

Last edited by michaelgira (2015-08-15 03:19:51)

#9 2015-08-15 03:23:15

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

michaelgira wrote:

Would it be best to just remove the music and then re-add it now that my locale is set correctly?

Why not try that before asking? Please don't be a help vampire.

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#10 2015-08-15 04:25:02

michaelgira

jasonwryan wrote:
michaelgira wrote:

Would it be best to just remove the music and then re-add it now that my locale is set correctly?

Why not try that before asking?

Because there is around 140 GiB of music on the iPod and It's a huge pain to export music from gtkpod because it tends to crash a lot, and It ends up taking a lot of hours.

That's why i said

michaelgira wrote:

Or maybe there is another way?

Because i would rather re-add the music as a last resort. I was just asking if she might know of any other way to reconstruct the filenames.

Please don't be a help vampire.

Ouch. But i guess you're kinda right when it comes to some of those. Since i do tend to ask a lot of questions and not really contribute.  I do appreciate the help i get, and i hope i don't come off as non appreciative of the effort you guys put in to helping people. I'm sorry about that and I'll try to be better.

#11 2015-08-15 05:31:39

ANOKNUSA

michaelgira wrote:
jasonwryan wrote:

Why not try that before asking?

Because there is around 140 GiB of music on the iPod and It's a huge pain to export music from gtkpod because it tends to crash a lot, and It ends up taking a lot of hours.

*Sigh,* Socratic method time. Suppose you want to find the outcome of a hundred coin tosses in a row. Do you need a hundred different coins to do that?

If you want, you can use a program called beets to organize your music library. It can both tag and move files in your library according to any scheme you want, and should correct the file names with the appropriate characters. Of course, setting it up and running it would probably take as much time as just adding back the music with the faulty characters--if moving the files back would work to begin with.

#12 2015-08-15 19:12:32

michaelgira

karol wrote:

I ended up re-adding the music, and the file-names are now displayed correctly.

Thank you for the help, i appreciate it.

ANOKNUSA wrote:

If you want, you can use a program called beets to organize your music library. It can both tag and move files in your library according to any scheme you want, and should correct the file names with the appropriate characters. Of course, setting it up and running it would probably take as much time as just adding back the music with the faulty characters--if moving the files back would work to begin with.

I ended up re-adding from gtkpod which did take quite a while, but the problem is solved now. I've never heard of beet, but after looking it up, it looks up my street. I'll have to check that out, thanks.

Board footer