You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-15 16:49:38

cmdrobvious

Webpage not showing text

Hi,
I just installed arch a few days ago and just noticed that I can't see text on a specific website (homestars.com). I'm not sure how to go through debugging this issue, so far I've tried it in both firefox and chrome with the same results.

I'm not sure what specs are relevant, I have an nvidia video card with the binary blob driver installed, I'm pretty sure thats fine since I can play 3d games without issue.

Any ideas on where to start are welcome

Screenshot below

Screenshot

#2 2015-08-15 17:01:07

DarkCerberus
Banned

Re: Webpage not showing text

Do you have all the fonts installed *including ttf-ms-fonts from the Arch User Repository this fixes certain fonts on websites which I visit, maybe it will for you.....

Our enemies are your enemies, Nick. Disorder, war. It's just a matter of time before a dirty bomb goes off in Moscow, or an EMP fries Chicago.  ---  Alexander Pierce, Captain America: Winter Soldier
Access Denied! De-cryption failed, override denied all files sealed! --- Triskelion, Shield OS
-----
How to ask questions the smart way

#3 2015-08-15 17:07:40

karol
Archivist

I'm using infinality, I don't have ttf-ms-fonts and I see the text. Installing ttf-dejavu might help.

#4 2015-08-15 17:38:11

cmdrobvious

I don't have 'all' the fonts installed, I would prefer not to do that if I don't have too. If its the only way to fix the issue, I'll try it, but I want to try some more specific fixes first.

Is there a way to tell what fonts a site is using? I couldn't see it in firebug, but I wasn't quite sure what I was looking for either.

I tried installing ttf-dejavu and that didn't change anything

#5 2015-08-15 18:05:07

Raynman

As far as I know, a replacement/fallback font is normally used when you don't have a specific font. This looks more like an issue I saw a while back where the font was installed (I think it was Fira as part of google-webfonts collection) but it didn't work for some reason, at least not in Firefox (and chromium?). However, the ttf-fira-sans package did not have this problem.

With Firebug you can look at font(-family) rules in the CSS/Style window. The built-in tools for FF additionally show a Fonts tab.

#6 2015-08-15 19:23:47

cmdrobvious

So I installed ttf-fira-sans and that seems to have solved the issue. I can see text on the page without issue now. I'm still not sure why it wouldn't have fallen back, but I suspect it is bad web programming.

Anyways, thank you everyone for your help.

Last edited by cmdrobvious (2015-08-15 19:23:57)

#7 2015-08-15 19:37:15

Raynman

I don't think that page actually uses Fira? I was trying to say it might be something similar (with a different font) and then removing a particular font might do you more good than installing additional ones. Maybe you just needed to regenerate the font cache and running the install script for the ttf-fira-sans package took care of that for you.

Last edited by Raynman (2015-08-15 19:54:14)

Board footer