You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-18 18:52:29

Ichigo-Roku

[Solved] How to get Wi-Fi working with BCM4360 (Macbook Pro 2014)

Hi!

I want to install Archlinux on my Macbook Pro Retina 13" late 2014. I've dded the iso on a USB device, I successfully boot on the USB device, but after that I need to get the Wi-Fi working!

First step I installed Archlinux on a virtual machine to build a package of broadcom-wl. After that I installed it after booting on my USB device, and then tried to load it with "modprobe wl", but after that nothing is happening... When I do a "ip link" or a "ls /sys/class/net", I only have "lo" nothing else, no new interface...

Do you have any idea? Maybe it's the right driver anymore? I searched on the Internet and it seems to be right one though. If you need more information I'm at your service!

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Ichigo-Roku (2015-08-19 19:24:03)

#2 2015-08-18 19:18:14

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [Solved] How to get Wi-Fi working with BCM4360 (Macbook Pro 2014)

Did you use the broadcom-wl or broadcom-wl-dkms package?  If the former, was it built against the same kernel as is running in the iso?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2015-08-18 20:58:11

Ichigo-Roku

I'm using broadcom-wl, yes I've built it against the same kernel and the same architecture.

#4 2015-08-18 21:55:05

frank604

Ichigo-Roku wrote:

First step I installed Archlinux on a virtual machine to build a package of broadcom-wl. After that I installed it after booting on my USB device, and then tried to load it with "modprobe wl", but after that nothing is happening... When I do a "ip link" or a "ls /sys/class/net", I only have "lo" nothing else, no new interface...

Just to clarify, are you installing Archlinux on virtual machine as a guest?  Or are you trying to install Archlinux alongside mac osx?  If you are trying to get internet in Archlinux as a guest, what is your host os?  In this scenario, you do not need broadcom-wl or any of the wl drivers as your host should provide the interface driver.

#5 2015-08-18 22:12:25

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Are you sure it was the same kernel?  How did you install that kernel in the VM?  Did you use the rollback machine?  The kernel that would be installed in a fresh install is different from the one in the iso, this is why I was asking.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#6 2015-08-18 22:18:38

CyberLard

When you run pacman -Q broadcom-wl does it list that package as being installed?

Are you absolutely sure that you're using the same kernel version?

Have you tried the troubleshooting tips on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Br … leshooting ?

Now that we're past the dumb questions, I would uninstall broadcom-wl and try building the package locally, either by using something like cower and wget on the VM or tethering via Android https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Android_tethering to grab the sources then build/install it after booting from USB.

Also, make sure you install linux-headers https://www.archlinux.org/packages/?name=linux-headers before installing broadcom-wl.

#7 2015-08-19 07:40:04

Ichigo-Roku

frank604,
I want to install Archlinux alongside with OS X. I'm using the virtual machine to build the packages since it's my only computer.

Trilby,
Yes I'm sure, I checked with "uname -a", I installed a previous kernel with ARM yes. I absolutly sure the it was for the same kernel.

CyberLard,
Yes I'm sure it's installed and that it was build with the same kernel version.
I tried the troubleshooting tips but nothing changed. I also installed linux-headers but same result. I don't have any Android device so it'll be hard to use Android tethering.

When i modprobe it, dmesg says that wl is tainting my kernel, so I assume it's correctly loaded?

Thanks for your help.

#8 2015-08-19 16:27:17

CyberLard

What does the exact tainting message say? It should give some characters afterwards that represent specific ways that the kernel is being affected.

Either way, it hasn't been build properly.

Uninstall both linux-headers and broadcom-wl and re-install the current kernel.

Build/install linux-headers first then broadcom-wl next on the install you plan on using. For broadcom-wl, don't just pacman -U the package you built on the VM. Rebuild it completely.

Hopefully this will just work. Once you do have it working, it is much easiest to maintain because you can reinstall it through the AUR every time you do a major kernel update.

#9 2015-08-19 19:23:07

Ichigo-Roku

I don't remember the exact message, but I'm loading a proprietary module into the kernel, so the message is about that.
I can assure you that it was correctly build, I found an Android device so I installed Arch with USB tethering to get access to the Internet. After that I installed I builded broadcom-wl "for real" on my mac, but after loading wl and lib80211_crypt_tkip I still was the same... But after a reboot it worked, I don't know why, there's something that I've forgotten to load maybe, I don't know.

So the problem is solved, but I don't have a real solution for the problem, I just used another way to get access to the Internet during installation.

Thanks for your help !

Board footer