You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-22 20:39:31

Lord_Sunday123

Plasma 5: Help needed running script

Ok, so essentially what I want to do is run a script if I hover my mouse in the corner of my screen. The reason I want to do this is because I'd like to minimize my windows like I was able to in KDE4, where the ShowDesktopIsMinimizeAll=true feature still existed. It was a dumb regression, but I can deal with it if I can get this to work like it used to.

There is no option to enter a custom command to run when hovering over the edge of your screen in the System Settings as far as I can tell. The ShowDesktop option is there, but without ShowDesktopIsMinimizeAll, it just Shows the desktop, and as soon as I open a file on my desktop, everything pops back up, which is annoying as it is never what I want to happen. I like my desktop to look clean, so I may have 15 things open, but I don't want to have them all active at once, and I don't want to click minimize on each one. The keyboard short cut is there, so that is helpful to a point, but I'd like to have it to where I can use my mouse, seeing as I normally am using a mouse anyways.

If a plasma dev happens to read this, firstly, thanks for the wonderful updates. It's slowly getting more stable, and I love using it. It bothers me though, that Microsoft Windows handles minimizing windows better than Plasma.

If anyone could help me to run the custom script on hovering in the corner of the screen edge, or perhaps tell me another way I could accomplish this, that would be awesome. Thanks!

Last edited by Lord_Sunday123 (2015-08-22 20:39:58)

#2 2015-08-22 21:13:22

Xabre

Re: Plasma 5: Help needed running script

Not a direct answer, but have you tried Eye on Screen effect? Once you assign Show Desktop to a hotcorner, I believe you get exactly what you described.

#3 2015-08-22 21:24:12

Lord_Sunday123

Xabre wrote:

Not a direct answer, but have you tried Eye on Screen effect? Once you assign Show Desktop to a hotcorner, I believe you get exactly what you described.

Tried that. Just provides a fancy effect to showing the desktop. As soon as I open a file on my desktop, everything else comes back up with it.

#4 2015-08-24 08:34:56

pb
Website

Have you tried: Systemsettings -> Window Behaviour -> KWin Scripts -> MinimizeAll ? This is alternative to ShowDesktop.

#5 2015-08-30 17:09:25

Lord_Sunday123

pb wrote:

Have you tried: Systemsettings -> Window Behaviour -> KWin Scripts -> MinimizeAll ? This is alternative to ShowDesktop.

Yes, but that isn't what I'm looking for. That only minimizes everything based off a keystroke. I want to do it by hovering in the corner of my screen, like I've always been able to do.

PS. Sorry for bumping this. Is it ok, if it's only a few days old? I still want this solved, but I've been away from my pc a lot and haven't had much time to check these forums.

#6 2015-08-30 17:23:17

Chazza
Wiki Maintainer

I don't know about mouse hovering exactly but Compiz does have the ability to run commands when the mouse is moved to a certain corner or screen edge - it calls them edge bindings. It's probably no worth switching to Compiz though just for that - Compiz isn't without its own problems.

#7 2015-08-30 18:04:50

Raynman

xdotool can also execute an action for "mouse in corner/on screen edge".

$ xdotool behave_screen_edge top-left exec someScript

Maybe you can also use command chaining instead of an external script, something like

$ xdotool behave_screen_edge top-left search '.*' windowminimize %@

Untested -- you may need to limit the search with some extra options (see man page).

Board footer