You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-29 10:01:59

mm___

[SOLVED] Thunar and terminal run automatically on startup on XFCE

Hi,

I recently installed XFCE and few other applications on my laptop. When I boot into XFCE the terminal (xfce4-terminal) and thunar open automatically. I checked the startup list and there's nothing there; I also looked in ~/.config/autostart, and I disabled the 'Automatically save session on logout' option in 'Session and startup' menu. In the 'Removable drives and media' menu the 'Browse removable media when inserted' is unchecked. The current autostart applications are

• Dropbox

• Polkit

• Power Manager

• Pulse Audio

• Wicd

• Xfsettingsd

the only thing I can think of is the package thunar-dropbox that I installed along with dropbox. Maybe it abnormally starts the file manager? But what about the terminal and how do I fix this?

Last edited by mm___ (2015-08-29 17:14:32)

#2 2015-08-29 11:23:09

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Thunar and terminal run automatically on startup on XFCE

mm___ wrote:

and I disabled the 'Automatically save session on logout' option

I've always disliked how this is handled:  Disabling that option only prevents changes to the session from being saved (at least the last time I used it).  This causes a lot of confusion as it can have the opposite effect that you want.  If you ended a session with thunar and terminal open, then that was saved.  If you now disable that option, that will remain the last saved session.  So either 1) temporarily re-enable that option, start xfce, close *everything* you can, restart xfce, then if that worked disable the save session option to keep your "clean" session saved.  Options 2) figure out where the sessions are stored, and delete the currently saved data.  The location of this is likely in the wiki or a man page, but I don't have it at my fingertips.

EDIT: from the wiki:

rm ~/.cache/sessions/* && chmod 500 ~/.cache/sessions

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xfce#Disable_sessions

Last edited by Trilby (2015-08-29 11:24:52)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2015-08-29 17:14:19

mm___

Re: [SOLVED] Thunar and terminal run automatically on startup on XFCE

That really helped, thanks a lot.

Board footer