You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-29 15:16:50

dresch

KDE Samba Share Tab Gone Missing

Hi all! I am new to the forums, and have been using Arch for about 3 months now. I have a Gentoo background so moving to Arch was a very nice experience. I am having trouble now though with the share tab that is supposed to appear in KDE when you right click on a folder. It was working until about a week ago at which time I had updated some KDE packages (don't remember which ones). After the update the share tab no longer appears when I right click a directory. I tried reinstalling kdenetwork-filehsharing but that did not work. Still no tab. Samba is running and still sharing the directories I selected before the tab went on hiatus. Any ideas where or how I can look for an error if its a GUI thing? Kdm.log and X.org.0.log have nothing related to file sharing.

#2 2015-08-31 00:11:05

dresch

Re: KDE Samba Share Tab Gone Missing

So I started dolphin from command line and got this error:

We got some errors while running 'net usershare info'
"invalid ownership on directory /var/cache/samba/lck\ninvalid ownership on directory /var/cache/samba/msg\n"
Couldn't start kded5 from org.kde.kded5.service: QDBusError("org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown", "The name org.kde.kded5 was not provided by any .service files") , falling back to running kbuildsycoca5
QXcbWindow: Unhandled client message: "_GTK_LOAD_ICONTHEMES"

I don't know why its trying to load something for KDE5. I have KDE4.

#3 2015-08-31 01:07:22

Soukyuu

Latest dolphin version is now using kde5. You are probably running a mix of kde4 and kde5 components unless you did some extensive (and generally discouraged) blacklisting in pacman.conf.
The update to the kf5 version is probably what made the sharing tab disappear. Maybe try doing this, it fixed service menu for me, not sure how the tabs are implemented.

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#4 2015-08-31 01:24:09

dresch

Soukyuu wrote:

Latest dolphin version is now using kde5. You are probably running a mix of kde4 and kde5 components unless you did some extensive (and generally discouraged) blacklisting in pacman.conf.
The update to the kf5 version is probably what made the sharing tab disappear. Maybe try doing this, it fixed service menu for me, not sure how the tabs are implemented.

I installed kded and that solved the kded5 error. Also, I added a symlink as indicated in the link you posted but still no luck. Still no share tab......this is a pretty big oversight for KDE. User shares are an important feature.

I would upgrade to KF5 completely but I have several apps that really need the system tray and Plasma 5 seems just too neurotic about the systray to warrant me using it.

Edit:
I found some services in kservices5 that seem to relate to samba. One is smb.desktop that has the following abridged content:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Service
X-KDE-ServiceTypes=KCModule
X-DocPath=kcontrol/smb/index.html
Icon=preferences-system-network-share-windows
Exec=kcmshell5 smb

X-KDE-Library=kcm_kio
X-KDE-PluginKeyword=smb
X-KDE-System-Settings-Parent-Category=connectivity
X-KDE-ParentApp=kcontrol

Name=Windows Shares

And smb.protocol:
[Protocol]
exec=kf5/kio/smb
protocol=smb
input=none
output=filesystem
listing=Name,Type,Size,Date,Access,Owner,Group
reading=true
writing=true
makedir=true
deleting=true
opening=true
moving=true
copyToFile=true
copyFromFile=true
maxInstances=20
maxInstancesPerHost=5
X-DocPath=kioslave5/smb/index.html
Icon=network-workgroup

I also tried linking the sambashareplugin.desktop from kdenetwork-filesharing in the kservices5 folder to see if it would work. No good. This is absurd......KDE needs to get their act together

Last edited by dresch (2015-08-31 02:50:41)

#5 2015-08-31 11:20:42

Soukyuu

According to this, there is a kf5 branch of kdenetwork-filesharing. I don't see it in AUR, so you'd probably have to make a PKGBUILD based on kdenetwork-filesharing and checkout the frameworks branch instead.

edit: that's the git repo: https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kdenetwork-filesharing.git

Last edited by Soukyuu (2015-08-31 11:23:26)

[ Arch x86_64 | linux | Framework 13 | AMD Ryzen™ 5 7640U | 32GB RAM | KDE Plasma Wayland ]

#6 2015-08-31 15:50:33

dresch

Soukyuu wrote:

According to this, there is a kf5 branch of kdenetwork-filesharing. I don't see it in AUR, so you'd probably have to make a PKGBUILD based on kdenetwork-filesharing and checkout the frameworks branch instead.

edit: that's the git repo: https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=kdenetwork-filesharing.git

Thanks! I will give it a try. Yeah, KDE totally broke Dolphin. I can't even browse the Samba network either. For now I am getting by with Krusader, but its got a lot of bells and whistles for a file manager....

#7 2015-08-31 16:55:25

infoslaw

You can browse samba shares in Dolphin if you edit network folder and change to: smb:/ but it is temporary solution and remote:/ doesn't work properly

#8 2015-08-31 17:36:45

Soukyuu

...my network folder/samba shares work just fine with newest dolphin?

#9 2015-08-31 18:19:00

arojas
Developer

infoslaw wrote:

remote:/ doesn't work properly

Can you elaborate? It works as well as in the KDE4 version for me.

#10 2015-08-31 21:10:41

infoslaw

arojas wrote:
infoslaw wrote:

remote:/ doesn't work properly

Can you elaborate? It works as well as in the KDE4 version for me.

Have you test packages in your arch? Is it the same Dolphin v.15.08.0 which using:
KDE Frameworks 5.13.0
Qt 5.5.0 (built against 5.5.0)
The xcb windowing system ?

#11 2015-08-31 21:14:09

infoslaw

Soukyuu wrote:

...my network folder/samba shares work just fine with newest dolphin?

something wrong here my Dolphin Network folder don't respond after last update

#12 2016-06-24 13:28:20

infoslaw

The issue has been resolved in new KDE Plasma

Board footer