You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-29 23:08:35

mr.didi

Making encrypted directory ecryptfs.

Hello all! I wanted to create a custom encrypted directory in my home/USER/ folder. I followed steps from wiki under "Manual setup"
Created folders with names ".safe" "safe" and ".ecryptfs". Echo'ed "home/USER/.safe home/USER/safe ecryptfs" into safe.conf. Generated sig with ecryptfs-add-passphrase and echo'ed it in safe.sig.
First time I mount .safe with

mount.ecryptfs_private safe

it mounts successfully and is seen in "mount"

/home/USER/.safe on /home/USER/safe type ecryptfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,ecryptfs_sig=51137852613a0d3e,ecryptfs_cipher=aes,ecryptfs_key_bytes=16,ecryptfs_unlink_sigs

If I unmount it and try mount it again it will display

mount.ecryptfs_private
Signature not found in user keyring
Perhaps try the interactive 'ecryptfs-mount-private'

Even thou signature is in .sig file.
What did I do wrong? Am I supposed to always mount in with sudo or something? Thanks in advance!

#2 2015-08-30 00:08:56

mr.didi

Re: Making encrypted directory ecryptfs.

Oh I see, I have to add signature to keyring every time I want to mount it again, I think I missed that somewhere along the lines...
I find it strange that I have to run signature adding every time I want to mount it, man page of the umount.ecryptfs_private states that

NOTE:  This  program  will  not clear the relevant keys from the user's keyring.

But I guess it does that anyway?

#3 2015-08-30 02:02:15

kozaki
Website

Re: Making encrypted directory ecryptfs.

Actualy it says

This program will not dynamically load the relevant keys.  For this reason, it is recommended that users use ecryptfs-mount-private(1) instead!

'ecryptfs-mount-private' which I use personally for years without a glinch, or key AFAIK wink

Seeded last month: Arch 50 gig, derivatives 1 gig
Desktop @3.3GHz 8 gig RAM, linux-ck
laptop #1 Atom 2 gig RAM, Arch linux stock i686 (6H w/ 6yrs old battery smile) #2: ARM Tegra K1, 4 gig RAM, ChrOS
Atom Z520 2 gig RAM, OMV (Debian 7) kernel 3.16 bpo on SDHC | PGP Key: 0xFF0157D9

Board footer