You are not logged in.

#1 2015-08-30 18:15:27

hararah

Buffer I/O error on device dm-0 during installation

Hi all,

I wanted to have a play with bcache, so I'm trying to install bcache-tools from the AUR as per the Wiki and this forum post .
Immediately after I install base-devel from the repos to get everything needed for building bcache-tools I start getting a lot of errors on screen, roughly in this order:

"device-mapper: snapshots: Invalidating snapshot: Unable to allocate exception."

"Buffer I/O error on device dm-0, logical block 69509" which gets repeated about 10 or so times, with consective block numbers.

Sometimes I get errors about a second group of blocks
"Buffer I/O error on device dm-0, logical block 3756220" which again gets repeated about 10 or so times, with consective block numbers.

The block numbers vary everytime I try.

"EXT4-fs error (device dm-0): ext4_wait_block_bitmap:493: comm kworker/u16:3: Cannot read block bitmap - block_group = 161, block_bitmap = 5242881" (These numbers are always the same..)
"Buffer I/O error on dev dm-0, logical block 0, lost sync page write"
"EXT4-fs (dm-0): previous I/O error to superblock detected"
These three errors are again repeated about 10 or so times.

"Buffer I/O error on dev dm-0, logical block 3670016, lost async page write" which again gets repeated about 10 times or so with consecutive block numbers

And then I get another mix of combinations of the previous errors (maybe another 15 or so in total?)

I originally tried installing from my existing Arch live USB (probably from July or August 2015). I then downloaded a fresh copy of the iso, verified the md5 sum, and copied it to my USB drive with dd, but the same error persisted. I then tried a different USB stick, but it too gave the same problem. I also tried booting the installer in EFI mode and Legacy mode, but again, the problem is present in both. I also verified my RAM with a run of memtest86+.

I tried installing only the packages from base-devel that I needed to build bcache-tools, but then too I get the errors.

My hardware is:
Intel i7-4790k
ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark II
32GB of RAM (4 * 8GB)
ASUS R9 280
Intel 730 series 240GB SSD
1x 1TB HDD & 1x 2TB HDD

Can anyone shed any light on what is happening here? I am very confused by what is causing these errors.

Please let me know if there are anymore details you need.

Many thanks in advance!

#2 2015-09-21 18:59:07

letni69

Re: Buffer I/O error on device dm-0 during installation

Hey, anyone having the same issue ? I am basically trying to install Arch Linux using a Live-CD on a VM(VMWare) but I am getting that same strange error:

"device-mapper: snapshots: Invalidating snapshot: Unable to allocate exception."

I am getting this error right after running "pacman -Syyu".
I really appreciate some help. Thanks smile

Last edited by letni69 (2015-09-21 20:58:48)

Board footer