You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-01 22:51:42

waxxy

Bootloader Advice Needed

I've been using Linux since 97 but this UEFI thing has me baffled.

I just bought a new setup and installed Win 10 on an M.2 SSD, I need Win for work and AAA gaming titles, but Linux for everything else. My problem is I can't seem to get the bootloading setup properly (I'm a BIOS oldtimer).

I have the M.2 SSD as the Win drive with the ESP (UEFI boot partition) on it. I have a 2TB HDD for common storage, and a SATA SSD I want to install Arch on. What's the recommended way to do this?

Do I need to have another FAT32 ESP on the Arch SSD? Do I mount the Win ESP partition to /boot on the Arch SSD? Do I need to install Grub (if so, where?) or could I just use efibootmgr? I've done a lot of reading and research and I get conflicting ideas (some may have to do with the particular setup - both OSs on the same drive, etc.).

I'd appreciate any advice so I can get this right the first time. Thanks!

#2 2015-09-02 02:50:43

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Bootloader Advice Needed

Welcome to Arch Linux. 
Personally,   I think that systemd-boot (formally known as gummiboot) is the most sure fire solution.  Also, the install process since the move to systemd-boot is almost fool proof.

Make sure you turn off secure boot and configure windows to not use fast boot mode.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2015-09-02 04:32:56

twelveeighty

One thing to keep in mind is that you *must* follow the instructions in the Wiki https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Be … ion_medium, and make sure you get the UEFI mode boot screen when booting the Arch ISO. efivar -l should produce a long list of variables in that case.

Also be sure to first read the dual boot guide: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … _dual_boot. It's been a long time since I installed Windows on physical hardware, but it appears that the issue where Windows no longer boots after installing Linux is still a risk.

#4 2015-09-02 07:22:52

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

waxxy wrote:

Do I mount the Win ESP partition to /boot

^ This.

If you want to use gummiboot/systemd-boot (which I also recommend), then you will have to share the Windows-generated ESP with Arch and mount /boot to that partition.

It is possible to use multiple ESPs but it can be tricky to set up.

#5 2015-09-02 22:03:45

waxxy

Thanks guys! I'll give it a shot this weekend and let you know how it went.

#6 2015-09-09 15:35:41

waxxy

Systemd-boot worked great. I didn't create an EFI partition on the Linux disk, and just mounted the Windows EFI partition as /boot, and everything went smooth as silk.

Thanks for the help!

#7 2015-09-09 18:41:50

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Excellent!

Please add "[SOLVED]" to the thread title for the benefit of others wink

Board footer