You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-03 12:39:18

nasosnik

VMware Workstation no DNS through NAT networking

It seems that there is an issue with DNS affecting NAT networking and Windows guests. The problem occurs on VMware Workstation 11.1.2 and 12.0.0 and kernels 4.1.5 and 4.1.6.

It appears that the vmnet8 stack is not forwarding DNS requests from Windows guests. I suspect that this is a linux kernel problem because with kernels prior to 4.1.5, DNS was working fine on the same laptop, same VMs and same configuration. Please can anyone confirm the issue?

#2 2015-09-04 01:44:46

vivitron
Website

Re: VMware Workstation no DNS through NAT networking

I'm having the same issue here... I haven't had time to investigate and had to set my VMs to use a different DNS server.

I'm running Linux version 4.1.6-1-ck

#3 2015-09-09 08:25:35

nagraskal

Seeing the same. DNS resolution works if you add a .localdomain at the end of a query, so doing a nslookup www.google.ch.localdomain works - which is weird. if you sniff the traffic you see the request from the vm to the dns-proxy with the .localdomain, and from the dns proxy to the actual dns without the .localdomain...

I will look into that further as soon I have a bit more time.

#4 2015-09-10 21:41:04

nagraskal

hmm, it seams as if its not only a problem with windows guests. the vmnet-dhcpd daemon sets the option domain-name to localdomain - this leads to a domain search suffix named localdomain, and this gets automaticaly added, so doing a ping www.heise.de produces a ping www.heise.de.localdomain, which again is working.

if you do not add the .localdomain, you will see the dns query to your nat gatway address followed by a icmp destination unreachable (port unreachable) when sniffing the network traffic, and nothing is sent to the actual dns server configured on the host system.

if you add the .localdomain, the actual dns server configured on the host system will be queried for the requested hostname _without_ the .localdomain.

#5 2015-09-12 21:35:27

nasosnik

nagraskal wrote:

hmm, it seams as if its not only a problem with windows guests.

Unfortunately the problem seems to affect Linux guests also. If you ping an internet routable hostname e.g. www.google.com, the hostname is resolved properly. This is not the case using DNS query tools like nslookup or dig, still the DNS request is not forwarded.

#6 2015-10-29 10:48:54

ikelos

Other reports suggest that this is an issue caused by glibc-2.22 in some way.  I suspect that the DHCP/DNS daemon used for NAT connections, was compiled with the old glibc-2.22 and the changes to the locale format are causing the problem.  That's as far as I've managed to get though...

Related links:
https://forum.manjaro.org/index.php?PHP … c=25304.15
https://github.com/manjaro/packages-openrc/issues/8

Board footer