You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-05 16:29:25

ron27182

Updating local VCS package

Hey guys,

No idea if this is a newbie problem, but since it's my first post...

Well, here goes - I've created a local VCS (git in this case) package that builds and installs successfully.

To update the package I usually run:

makepkg
pacman -U *.pkg.tar.xz

Recently I've started using yaourt, and I've noticed that running:

yaourt -Syua --devel

Updates installed VCS AUR packages by:

1. Getting the PKGBUILD.

2. Checking whether an update is needed by pulling the source and using pkgver().

3. Building the package if necessary.

However, when I run the same command with my local VCS package installed, no pulling occurs.

So, I'd like to know if there is any way to make yaourt update local VCS packages?

(I hope I've provided enough details, I'll add more if needed).

Last edited by ron27182 (2015-09-05 16:33:08)

#2 2015-09-06 05:42:07

severach

Re: Updating local VCS package

Check out makepkg -i. I one step install or update packages with makepkg -scCfi.

For updates I use cower -u. All I need is to know which are updated. I don't need them built for me.

Update checkers don't get the PKGBUILD. This isn't practical, is unsafe, and wouldn't allow the check for 50 packages to be done in about one second. They query the AUR server for the current version.

Update compares the version you have installed to the version published on the AUR. You don't get update notifications if the package isn't installed, the package isn't published, or the maintainer doesn't keep the version up to date.

Are you looking for upstream version checking?

#3 2015-09-06 08:38:57

ron27182

Thanks for the tips - I already use makepkg -scCfi (probably should have mentioned it in the OP).

What I'm essentially trying to do is having yaourt (or pacman itself, sans wrapper) use a "local repository" of PKGBUILDs (something akin to a local AUR, if that makes any sense).

So when I use, for instance, yaourt -Syua --devel, I'd like yaourt to do its normal thing, but also to check for updated PKGBUILDs locally, or in the case of VCS packages, to fetch the source and check if an update is necessary.

Since my original post yesterday, I've tried using this:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pa … repository
to add my packages to a local custom repository.

So now, when I run the aforementioned command I get:

$ yaourt -Syu --devel
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 custom is up to date

==> upgrading SVN/CVS/HG/GIT package

Targets (1): test-package-git

==> Proceed with upgrade?  [Y/n]
==> ----------------------------
==>
==> Building test-package-git from sources.

==> Retrieving PKGBUILD and local sources...
==> custom/test-package-git: Download abs archive
curl: (37) Couldn't open file /home/test-user/abs/custom/custom.abs.tar.gz

I think I'm on the right path, but I really have no idea how to go about this...

Last edited by ron27182 (2015-09-06 08:41:19)

#4 2015-09-06 12:58:39

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

The custom local repository is intended to be  a binary repo.

You could try setting up a local git server/repo with the same structure as the aur.git repository itself.
Yaourt could then be told to use that local git repo the same way as it uses aur.git .

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2015-09-06 12:59:15)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2015-09-07 10:01:03

ron27182

@Lone_Wolf - Thanks for your help.

I've tried searching the wiki for help on setting up a "local" aur.git but came up with nothing...
Setting up just a simple local git repository that mirrors the AUR structure doesn't seem to work. Any tips?

Furthermore, If I tell yaourt to use said local git repository, wouldn't I need to update twice?
Once using the normal method, and once by adding "--aur-url" flag referencing the custom repository?

#6 2015-09-07 10:36:22

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

The switch to aur 4 / aur.git is very recent, you are probably the first that tries this.
Aur-dev ML looks like the best place to get help/information for setting up  a local AUR.

Yaourt developers could also help to determine what the minimum functionality is yaourt needs to use a local aur.

(i don't use yaourt myself, so can't help with that).

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2015-09-07 10:40:21)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer