You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-05 21:23:06

mbostwick

Submmiting A New Package To AUR ? [Solved]

hi, i haven't needed to submit a package to aur with the new git backend, and the wiki page  seems to only cover existing packages, can someone point me to the docs for new packages to aur ?

UPDATE:
A clone should always work when submitting a new package, or uploading an existing one. However, its possible to also just push a new repo. In any case, its important to have the SSH keys setup correctly.

One thing I was missing, was that the docs indicate to setup a unique ssh key but not how to ensure that your ssh uses those keys for aur(a clone will fail if your authentication is not setup correctly) :
nano ~/.ssh/config
"
host aur.archlinux.org
HostName aur.archlinux.org
IdentityFile ~/.ssh/arch_key
User aur
"

how to setup a repo to push later:
git init
git remote add aur ssh://aur@aur.archlinux.org/{$PKGNAME_YOUR_ADDING}.git
git push --set-upstream aur master

Last edited by mbostwick (2015-09-06 09:58:08)

#2 2015-09-05 21:27:02

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

Re: Submmiting A New Package To AUR ? [Solved]

It is the exact same way, just set the remote and push to it.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#3 2015-09-05 21:27:14

Raynman

#4 2015-09-05 21:30:07

Mr.Elendig
#archlinux@freenode channel op

I really should get around to update the wiki, the git clone is not needed at all.

Evil #archlinux@libera.chat channel op and general support dude.
. files on github, Screenshots, Random pics and the rest

#5 2015-09-05 21:30:28

mbostwick

Raynman that section first does a pull for existing packages.. I can create a repo and push the contents, if thats what I need to do, however, it doesnt say that, read the wiki @raynman
"In order to upload a package, simply clone the Git repository with the corresponding name:"  If I try and clone laszip it reports not found.

I'm trying to confirm, that all i need to do is create an empty repo, and push that repo. I have to get my ssh key setup working as well hmm.. The old upload web form to upload a src pkgbuild was much easier..

Last edited by mbostwick (2015-09-05 21:33:47)

#6 2015-09-05 21:35:09

Raynman

mbostwick wrote:

Raynman that section first does a pull for existing packages.. I can create a repo and push the contents, if thats what I need to do, however, it doesnt say, read the wiki @raynman
"In order to upload a package, simply clone the Git repository with the corresponding name:"  If I try and upload laszip it reports not found.

That does not mention anything about existing packages and if you read on it does mention adding files and making the initial commit.

But at first I actually thought you hadn't even managed to find that section (partly because you linked to the top of the page rather than this section). Apparently you did, maybe you didn't read it thoroughly, but you tried something and got an error. Why didn't you say so?

Last edited by Raynman (2015-09-05 21:39:25)

#7 2015-09-05 21:40:13

mbostwick

Raynman, I have no clue how the aur web front end is linking to the data sets(https://aur4.archlinux.org/) , some systems create index lists. I'm not going to just start pushing to a server, and creating a git repo, unless I'm clear thats how the process needs to occur.  The old system required you use a web form to upload the source package.

The wider point here, is I dont have to do this at all(I can just install the package on my system), I'm doing it to benefit the community.   If I'm not clear on how to do it, I can just abandoned  the attempt, and then liblas-git wont build, and ossim will fail when it tries to build. I suspect other users may have give up submitting packages, but I haven't checked the data to see if there has been a large drop in aur submissions.

Last edited by mbostwick (2015-09-05 21:44:04)

#8 2015-09-05 22:18:20

mbostwick

Just as an update to this. Once I understood the approach to creating a new repo was as simple as creating a new git project, committing to it, and pushing it, I was able to work through getting my ssh to use the correct ssh key I set in my profile. Its way more complicated then the old fashion web form upload..but should be easy enough going forward.

Last edited by mbostwick (2015-09-05 22:40:45)

#9 2015-09-05 22:20:10

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

mbostwick wrote:

If I try and clone laszip it reports not found.

It should work - so something has gone wrong here.  Provide the exact command you used and the full output and we can help.

FWIW I was just going to clone the "empty" laszip repo and paste the output here to prove that it works - but I found there is already a PKGBUILD there.  Did you just upload the PKGBUILD?   (edit: nevermind, I see on the web interface that you did infact just upload it)  So is this solved?

Last edited by Trilby (2015-09-05 22:21:01)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#10 2015-09-05 22:28:49

mbostwick

Trilby, thanks, I've got it uploaded now ! Updated the title of the post. At some point someone likely should update the wiki. However, hopefully a quick google search will lead users to this post wink.

#11 2015-09-05 23:42:56

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

mbostwick, the wiki is correct.  I'm not sure why if failed for you but it works fine normally.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#12 2015-09-05 23:55:35

mbostwick

Trilby, if you can quote the section of the wiki that indicates to create a new repo, a user must initialize an empty git repo, add the remote repo, and push it to aur, that would help clear up the confusion. At the top of the question I added the additional commands that new packages needed(as well as the setup needed for using a separate public key for aur..I assumed that the creation of the key could be pulled from the wiki, because that detail is in the wiki) , it seems like that kind of thing belongs in the wiki.

Also, the wiki recommends using a separate ssh key, but doesn't link back to the ssh section that indicates how to configure the use of those keys. Just to be clear though, i figured it out, but I'm use to using git and ssh (something I dont think the wiki should assume everyone knows..).  I also think the section about configuring your username, should go before the first commit (just because if your following it as a guide, and you commit, you have to go back and rebase..) .

However, as I said, once I understood the few details about how new packages work I was good to go. To provide a little context here, I have no clue, how arch is ensuring that the first submission of a package, is a valid pkg build, and has the correct information required. My concern was that the initial git repo added hooks to do checks to make sure a pkgbuild was valid. Perhaps it was just confusing to me, because I was use to the simple makepks -s, and then going to the web form, and selecting the file.. An easy way to find out of course, would be to check the metrics for aur submissions..

Last edited by mbostwick (2015-09-05 23:56:40)

#13 2015-09-06 00:00:27

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

mbostwick wrote:

Trilby, if you can quote the section of the wiki that indicates to create a new repo, a user must initialize an empty git repo, add the remote repo, and push it to aur ...

That is not there.  But that is my point - you found an alternative route to the one described in the wiki, that doesn't mean the wiki is wrong.  The steps in the wiki should be sufficient.  In your case there was a problem, but as the actual commands and errors were never posted we couldn't get to a full diagnosis of what the problem was.  But jumping to the conclusion that the wiki is wrong is just silly.

Anyhow, this is marked solved, so I'll leave you to hold whatever view you want.

#14 2015-09-06 00:18:56

mbostwick

Trilby wrote:

The steps in the wiki should be sufficient.

This was not the case, I had to post to here to find out that all I needed to do was push a new repo. A big thank you to Mr.Elendig!

My question though, was where is the documentation for submitting a new package, the answer to that is now this forum(as it doesn't appear to be anywhere else) . It should be in the wiki but its not. Hopefully Mr.Elendig will update the wiki at some point.

To be clear the wiki is actually incomplete and in-correct.

Mr.Elendig wrote:

I really should get around to update the wiki, the git clone is not needed at all.

The only error I ran into was a generic not authorized, I did include the commands I used at the top of this ticket though(which show you why, my authentication failed, which was because I didn't configure it to use the key for that host. ). My question was not about how I should submit a new package to aur, but where people should look to find out about submitting new packages to aur.

Mr.Elendig wrote:

It is the exact same way, just set the remote and push to it.

Just to provide tone here, I like not having to make PKGBUILD's when I want new software, so the more people that can make them, they better off we are. The lack of documentation on how to do this, creates a barrier for people.. Especially people who are new to arch..

#15 2015-09-06 00:22:49

progandy

My question though, was where is the documentation for submitting a new package, the answer to that is now this forum(as it doesn't appear to be anywhere else) . It should be in the wiki but its not.

The wiki describes the clone process and a "git clone" should always work. If the repository doesn't exist, you'll get a new one, so there is no special case to document. Of course, you have to set up the ssh key first.

progandy /tmp % git clone ssh://aur@aur.archlinux.org/foo-asd.git
Cloning into 'foo-asd'...
Enter passphrase for key '/home/progandy/.ssh/id_aur': 
warning: You appear to have cloned an empty repository.
Checking connectivity... done.
progandy /tmp % cd foo-asd 
progandy /tmp/foo-asd (git)-[master] % 

Last edited by progandy (2015-09-06 00:31:06)

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

#16 2015-09-06 00:29:33

mbostwick

progandy, thank you for the clarification! Does it matter, if you do a git init  and just push it ? The clone failed at first for me for obvious reasons.

Last edited by mbostwick (2015-09-06 00:32:23)

#17 2015-09-06 00:33:44

progandy

mbostwick wrote:

progandy, thank you for the clarification! Does it matter, if you do a git init  and just push it ? The clone failed at first for me for oblivious reasons.

Doesn't matter. You push a fresh repository in either case. If you start with a clone the git remote is already defined and set up correctly. After a git init, you have to do that manually.

| alias CUTF='LANG=en_XX.UTF-8@POSIX ' |

Board footer