You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-06 03:02:19

blackace306

Setting Up Network Printer CUPS

This might be a topic for a CUPS forum. But I figured I would ask here and see if any one can answer my question. I have a Canon Pixma MG3120 printer I am trying to set up on the wireless network. I usually use hplip for HP printers. However I cannot find an equivalent for Canon. Now for the situation. The printer IS NOT connected to the router yet. I have found the Windows software for the initial setup. To connect the printer to the router asking me to connect the USB in order to connect it to the router. As far as I know I am limited to CUPS to set it up in Arch Linux. And would like to know how to connect a printer to my wireless network via CUPS while it is connected to my computer through USB. I hope I worded this correctly. It is a very specific question that I have not been able to find an answer too. Thank you in advance for any insight into the issue. I really don't want to have to fall back to Windows every time I need to work on a printer for some one.

#2 2015-09-06 03:17:17

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Setting Up Network Printer CUPS

Please do not cross post.  If you need a topic moved, use the report function and leave a note asking that the moderators to move it.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2015-09-06 03:22:12

blackace306

I apologize. Was not sure which forum this topic belonged more too. Hope some one sees it here and can answer the question soon.

#4 2015-09-06 03:32:26

ewaller
Administrator

No need to apologize.  And, I forgot, welcome to Arch Linux smile   The topic will be found -- these are very active forums.  Again, if you would like it moved, let us know.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2015-09-06 04:28:11

pypi
Wiki Maintainer

My best guess would be that, to get the printer connected to the router via wifi, you will need Windows to run the setup software sad
An alternative might be to use WPS instead.

Or, you could look at the driver packages Canon provides and see whether there is a binary in there, like mentioned in this article: http://linux.wikia.com/wiki/Getting_Can … k_on_Linux (the cngpijmonmp560 binary)

Finally, you might consider running the Windows software in WINE.

CUPS itself won't help here; you will need a printer-specific binary that provides some additional functions (for instance, there's an escputil binary in the gutenprint packages that provides some common functions for Epson printers). Canon might provide this in their driver package, as mentioned above, or you might find that someone on the net has created one.

#6 2015-09-06 04:43:38

blackace306

Thank you. I do remember finding the deb somewhere. Hopefully I can find it again. Or I'll just keep a small Windows partition available for when these situations come up. HP Printers are so much easier with the hplip. Perhaps some one could make something like that but for Canon. And other brands for that matter.

#7 2015-09-06 15:20:14

firecat53
Website

I have a Canon MG4120 (I think that's the right model, at least) and all I did was setup a static IP for it on my router, then use the Gutenprint driver and the static IP address when setting up the printer through CUPS. It's been awhile, so I can't remember if I also had to set the static IP locally on the printer as well. In any case...I didn't have to use Windows or any separate drivers. I see a driver for the MG3120 available in CUPS in the 'add printer' section.

Good luck,
Scott

#8 2015-09-06 18:10:59

blackace306

firecat53 wrote:

I have a Canon MG4120 (I think that's the right model, at least) and all I did was setup a static IP for it on my router, then use the Gutenprint driver and the static IP address when setting up the printer through CUPS. It's been awhile, so I can't remember if I also had to set the static IP locally on the printer as well. In any case...I didn't have to use Windows or any separate drivers. I see a driver for the MG3120 available in CUPS in the 'add printer' section.

Good luck,
Scott

The issue is that the printer is not hooked up to the router yet, so static IP cannot be set yet. I eventually folded and used Windows to set the initial set up going. But am still hoping to find an answer here for future reference.

#9 2015-09-07 11:57:44

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

All network printers are setup to use DHCP by default, and have a web interface that allows to set practically everything that can be set for the printer.

Just connect them to  your router, then find out what address the router has given the printer.
(check printer user guide, you can print out network settings using it's physical control panel)

Once you found the ip-address, just open a browser and go to http://ip-address-of-printer .
That will connect to the printer maintenance web interface and allow you to set a static ip.

The method to connect the printer through usb then setup is often exclusive to windows and very limited.
It's mainly intended for people that lack the skill/knowledge to use the proper method.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#10 2015-09-07 19:07:20

pypi
Wiki Maintainer

Lone_Wolf wrote:

All network printers are setup to use DHCP by default, and have a web interface that allows to set practically everything that can be set for the printer.

Just connect them to  your router, then find out what address the router has given the printer.
(check printer user guide, you can print out network settings using it's physical control panel)

Once you found the ip-address, just open a browser and go to http://ip-address-of-printer .
That will connect to the printer maintenance web interface and allow you to set a static ip.

The method to connect the printer through usb then setup is often exclusive to windows and very limited.
It's mainly intended for people that lack the skill/knowledge to use the proper method.

It's a wireless printer - I don't believe that it has an ethernet port, although some printers do. Getting to the web interface is difficult when it's not even on the network yet...

#11 2015-09-07 20:46:01

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

That makes it harder, and it doesn't look like the pixma has a control panel that allows setting up wireless.

I recently helped someone setting up a hp officejet 6700 printer, and configuring wireless connection was easy thorugh it's touchscreen control interface.

Seems like canon doesn't include such functionality, atleast for consumer models.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#12 2015-09-08 18:05:34

blackace306

Lone_Wolf wrote:

That makes it harder, and it doesn't look like the pixma has a control panel that allows setting up wireless.

I recently helped someone setting up a hp officejet 6700 printer, and configuring wireless connection was easy thorugh it's touchscreen control interface.

Seems like canon doesn't include such functionality, atleast for consumer models.

I know. Even HP printers that dont have touch screens are easier to work with with HPLIP. I was able to put one for a friend on the wireless network using HPLIP while it was hooked up via USB. I was able to tell it to connect, and then disconnect the USB and use it on the wireless from then on. I would prefer to always use Linux when I go out to these jobs. But I guess the manufactures will see to it that that is impossible. HP has always been the easiest to work with for Linux for me. Whether it be drivers on the actual computer, or peripherals such as printers. I wonder, is there a forum where I may learn how to port the Windows software to Linux? I am not a developer but I am willing to learn new tricks all of the time. big_smile

#13 2015-09-08 18:08:52

blackace306

Lone_Wolf wrote:

That was my first thought, so I grabbed an Ethernet cable. And went all the way back to the clients house just to learn that the printer had no Ethernet port. Only connection methods were wireless (which I couldn't manage), and USB. Which I could not as far as I know access the web interface from. Once I set it up via Windows, I gave it a static IP address of course so as to not add to any more confusion down the road.

Board footer