You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-08 15:58:57

DanielH

[solved] libreoffice-still 4.4.5-2 crashes at startup

[SOLVED]
Andreas Radke (packager) added gtk2 as LO dependency, due upstream changes.
-----

Yesterday september 07, I've updated my system; now libreoffice-still 4.4.5-2 crashes at startup without any messages (previously LO-still 4.3.7-4 has worked for days without issues).

LO-still go to 4.4.5-2, and dependencies that have been updated: graphite (1:1.3.0-1 -> 1:1.3.1-1), hafbuzz-icu (1.0.1-1 -> 1.0.3-1) and its own dep harfbuzz (1.0.1-1 -> 1.0.3-1).

I have Arch Linux + dwm + dmenu + a lot of Qt apps (not KDE libs related) on an old Celeron 2,5 GHz with 1 GB RAM; I haven't GTK(2|3) apps nor dependencies at all...
My libreoffice-still theme configuration was previously forced by SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen in /etc/profile.d/libreoffice-still.sh, native theme and icons (Tango) has been selected at LO options.

Now, launching LO from dmenu or from terminal brings me its splash window and progress bar, then shows its Welcome window. Clicking on any menu or Create button (Writer document, Calc spreadsheet, and so) immediately closes Welcome window, showing only the LO Document Recovery window without any file in it. Accepting by OK button closes that screen and then relaunches LO automatically.
Clicking on Open file button shows LO Open dialog window, allowing to select any file, navigate the system hierarchy, etc.; but clicking Open button repeats the previous behavior.
I've tried to rollback these dependencies to its previous versions stored in pacman cache, without success.
I've tried to completely remove LO-still 4.4.5-2 and reinstall it and all its deps, no success neither.
I've tried to switch to libreoffice-fresh, stating SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen at /etc/profile.d/libreoffice-fresh.sh: worse, LO refuses to start at all.
I went back to libreoffice-still 4.4.5-2 and ran it with strace and with --backtrace switch, but its logs are unintelligible for me...

Rolling back to LO-still 4.3.7-4, reinstalling its gconf dependency, and stating IgnorePkg = libreoffice-still in /etc/pacman.conf, momentarily solved this issue; but it's not the Arch philosophy (wiki: Partial upgrades are unsupported)...

Has someone suffered the same issues recently?
Any clue to solve it?

Best regards,
DanielH

Last edited by DanielH (2016-07-02 03:49:23)

#2 2015-09-14 15:35:22

DanielH

Re: [solved] libreoffice-still 4.4.5-2 crashes at startup

LO-still: GTK hide dependency?

Today september 14, my freezed LO-still  4.3.7-4 refuses to start, too.

I've decided to switch to LO-still 4.4.5-2 and try again, without success.

But installing gtk2 and its deps, and setting SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk in /etc/profile.d/libreoffice-still.sh, brings me a solution: LO-still working again.

Is LO-still 4.4.5-2 forced to use gtk or gtk dependencies? Why don't run without all this stuff?
Is it a compile bug or a code bug? Any idea about?

DanielH

#3 2015-09-14 16:04:27

christensen143

It looks like the issue has to do with your dwm in some way. I'm running fresh with no issues on gdm so I haven't tested this theory but a quick scan of the forums and I found several posts regarding similar issues. This one stuck out as a better fix than what you have had to use:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=109589

#4 2015-09-14 17:59:24

DanielH

@christensen143

I've read your reply, but i'm still thinking that this bug is not an window manager issue but a libreoffice issue:
I've tried uninstalling gtk2 and its deps, I've set "Use LibreOffice dialogs" in LO General options, I've set back SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen in /etc/profile.d/libreoffice-still.sh: no success.
Reinstalling gtk2 and its deps and stating SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk solves the issue, again...

The thread that you have linked is Xmonad related, there is no more clues about LO and dwm.

By the way, in another machine I have instaled ArchBang, a spin off of Arch + Openbox + tint2 + SLiM... [forgive me, archers big_smile ], it has gtk2 and gtk3 but not gdm; LO-still 4.4.5-2 runs flawlessly on it...

#5 2015-09-14 23:08:39

kabbalah
Banned

I have a post in testing on libreoffice-fresh, just reinstall libreoffice-fresh and do what Danielh said, but this goes away when I want to do something, simply by changing tools-options-see-Sifr, so I return back to LO-Still working smoothly, I have installed Arch with lxdm in a Dell Latitude netbook-2000.
For me it is a bug of LibreOffice
I tried many times with LO-fresh but it always crashes.

Last edited by kabbalah (2015-09-14 23:09:12)

#6 2015-09-22 19:09:25

DanielH

I can confirm that this issue is a gtk ⁽hide) dependencyrelated bug.

Some tests I have done:

1. Installing gtk2 and its deps (# pacman -S gtk2): libreoffice-still 4.4.5-2 works flawlessly, despite SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen or SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk is set in /etc/profile.d/libreoffice-still.sh.
Launching LO from virtual terminal: using SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gen libreoffice or SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=gtk: LO runs OK, the only difference is the font size in UI (menu, not in icons or working area).
Launching LO from dmenu: OK

2. Removing only gtk2 but keeping all its dependencies (# pacman -R gtk2): libreoffice-still doesn't work at all, showing the same behavior as I stated in my first post.
3. Removing gtk2 AND its dependencies (# pacman -Rs gtk2): libreoffice-still doesn't work at all.

I've uploaded LO crash logs: backtrace, strace and related info:
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=AuUeWzCd

Is this a distro related or an application related bug?
What kind of tests may I include?
Should I report this bug to bugs.archlinux or to bugzilla ( libreoffice bugs)?
All comments are welcome...

Best regards,
DanielH

Board footer