You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-02 22:12:41

tompouceuh

xfce4 weird and rare problem...

Hi
Ì've just installed XFCE4 and I have a lot of troubles with it.

First I can't start the xfce-settings-show utility

[tompouce@localhost ~]$ xfce-setting-show

(xfce-mcs-manager:3014): libxfce4mcs-CRITICAL **: mcs_manager_add_channel_from_file: assertion `filename != NULL && strlen (filename) > 0' failed

second, my preferences arent saved at all.

And finally, when I first installed it, it was asking me to add my host to the hosts file, but it was already there, so I renamed my host to localhost so it had stopped bugging me with this...

Thanks for helping me!

#2 2006-04-02 22:39:48

elasticdog
Website

Re: xfce4 weird and rare problem...

The hosts problem can be solved by adding multiple aliases to the <code>/etc/hosts</code> file.  That will also keep from causing problems with some other programs that don't like finding "localhost" when your machine is actually named something different.  So if your machine's name is "bob", your hosts file would look something like this:

127.0.0.1     localhost.localdomain     localhost  bob

#3 2006-04-02 23:04:00

tompouceuh

Thanks, now the rest:

all my xfce4 apps aren't working at all:
(xfce-mcs-manager:3091): libxfce4mcs-CRITICAL **: mcs_manager_add_channel_from_file: assertion `filename != NULL && strlen (filename) > 0' faile

always the same error for all!
except for apps beginning by xfce4-

xfce-mcs-manager, xfce-setting-show, the calendar, help, etc arent working, ... sad

Thanks

#4 2006-04-03 11:53:34

Birdman

Are you running xorg7? I have a running thread "xfce4 is broken" following my upgrade to xorg7. I have run out of ideas on how to fix it and I am currently using KDE until a solution pops up. I will keep a close eye on your thread for clues  wink

Board footer