You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-09 07:21:28

71GA

Installation 09/09/2015 - some sugestions and questions

I reecently reinstalled Archlinux & programs from clasical repository after one year because my wireless stopped working all of a suden. Reinstallation was a bit of a struggle, because after installing package wicd, netcfg and wpa_supplicant were somehow broken. Luckily I don't need wicd so I reinstalled my system withouth it and now I only use netcfg and wpa_supplicant to connect to my wireless - I FINALLY KNOW WHY MY WIRELESS STOPPED WORKING BEFORE REINSTALLATION! big_smile

I allso noticed that there is an error in the Arch Wiki - here. Code:

FONT=lat2-16
FONT_MAP=8859-2

should be rewriten for example in

FONT=lat2a-16
KEYMAP=slovene

because FONT_MAP does not work. At least it didn't for me while KEYMAP did. It would be good to at least mention this in the Wiki.

So now my question. I have already installed KDE desktop and all of the applications from clasical repositories. Now I need to install some of the AUR applications and I would like to know, how can I install them all in the same folder (/opt/*), so that I can later look into and remember which applications are from AUR. I allways forget that and then I allways get problems after resyncing my system with:

sudo pacman -Syy
sudo pacman -Syu

You can allso tell, how you keep AUR programs organized.

C, ARM, ARM assembly, HTML, CSS, JS, Linux

#2 2015-09-09 07:24:45

jasonwryan
Anarchist
Website

Re: Installation 09/09/2015 - some sugestions and questions

pacman -Qm

Not an Installation issue, moving to NC....

Arch + dwm   •   Mercurial repos  •   Surfraw

Registered Linux User #482438

#3 2015-09-09 10:45:21

niceman

you can use an AUR helper and configure it to save AUR built packages at a folder different than pacman's cache, you can try yaourt and man yaourtrc if you like

#4 2015-09-09 10:47:43

71GA

niceman wrote:

you can use an AUR helper and configure it to save AUR built packages at a folder different than pacman's cache, you can try yaourt and man yaourtrc if you like

I have already used yaourt and it sometimes (rarely though) fails to build packages. So what about doing this manually?

#5 2015-09-09 11:03:25

Alad
Wiki Admin/IRC Op
Website

Mods are just community members who have the occasionally necessary option to move threads around and edit posts. -- Trilby

#6 2015-09-09 11:20:20

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

71GA wrote:

It would be good to at least mention this in the Wiki.

Then mention it.  It is a wiki.  Just make sure of the following:

71GA wrote:

... At least it didn't [work] for me while KEYMAP did.

Are you sure this is an error in the wiki, and not just some other step you failed to do properly?  Judging from the rest of your post, I am not convinced of your ability to follow wiki or man page instructions.

71GA wrote:

I allways forget that and then I allways get problems after resyncing my system with:

sudo pacman -Syy
sudo pacman -Syu

WHAT?  There is so much wrong with that block of text that I don't know where to start.  First, that is an absolutely stupid use of pacman.  Provided you always do those two commands in immediate sequence it will not do any harm to your system, but it provides absolutely no benefit whatsoever - and it does waste bandwidth.  You may not care about your bandwidth, but don't waste the mirror servers' bandwidth for no reason.  Use `pacman -Syu` this is the correct way to update your system.  If you ever forgot to use the second command in your sequence, you could end up in quite a bit of trouble.

Now, I don't know what you mean by getting "problems" with your AUR packages when you update packages from the repos.  The only problem you could possibly run into is when you were upgrading versioned dependencies of AUR packages.  Installing those aur packages in /opt/ would not avoid these problems at all.  So installing in /opt/ will only end up causing new problems without solving the existing ones.

When you get errors due to versioned dependencies in AUR packages, you will have to rebuild those AUR packages - it's as simple as that.

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2015-09-09 11:41:14

Raynman

71GA wrote:

because FONT_MAP does not work. At least it didn't for me while KEYMAP did. It would be good to at least mention this in the Wiki.

Those are two very different things. That page is about fonts, about how characters are displayed (the output side of things). It specifically explains on that page that keymaps (a related subject) are responsible for mapping keys to characters (the input side) and it directs you to a page covering that subject.

If you want to discuss a possible error, at the very least say what it is that doesn't work. And the wiki has a "discussion" tab for such things.

#8 2015-09-09 12:12:46

ugjka
Website

Not really clear for me but FONT_MAP seem to determine which ISO standard to use.

Edit: I think I'm wrong. I played with different values and it would change my inputs like backspace would become space or ? mark. I have no clue what it is for

Last edited by ugjka (2015-09-09 13:18:41)

https://ugjka.net
paru > yay | webcord > discord
pacman -S spotify-launcher
mount /dev/disk/by-...

#9 2015-09-09 12:20:58

71GA

ugjka wrote:

Not really clear for me but FONT_MAP seem to determine which ISO standard to use.

Thank you for the clarification. So what if I want to use UTF-8 and not ISO at all?

#10 2015-09-09 12:25:56

ugjka
Website

71GA wrote:
ugjka wrote:

Thank you for the clarification. So what if I want to use UTF-8 and not ISO at all?

Console is limited...

I was wrong and I give up, the wiki is clear as mud in this case. I have no clue what is used and what FONT_MAP is for.

I hope someone with a better understanding will chime in.

Last edited by ugjka (2015-09-09 14:13:01)

mount /dev/disk/by-...

#11 2015-09-09 13:55:07

ugjka
Website

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fo … sole_fonts

Available fonts are saved in the /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts/ directory, those ending with .psfu or .psfu.gz have a Unicode translation map built-in.

So there is no need to specify FONT_MAP when we are using a font with a translation map built-in?

Last edited by ugjka (2015-09-09 13:55:58)

mount /dev/disk/by-...

#12 2015-09-09 14:26:09

Raynman

ugjka wrote:

So there is no need to specify FONT_MAP when we are using a font with a translation map built-in?

I wasn't even aware FONT_MAP existed before this thread. That example might not be the best choice for the wiki. See also:

man setfont wrote:

Usually no mapping table is needed, and a Unicode mapping table is already contained in the font (sometimes this is indicated by the .psfu extension), so that most users need not worry about the precise meaning and functioning of these mapping tables.

That man page (and some in "see also" section) also contains a slightly longer description of mapping tables, but with that I still don't feel like I really understand it.

Last edited by Raynman (2015-09-09 14:26:26)

Board footer