You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-09 15:12:57

Martinsos

Monitor on Display Port (DP) not detected after update

I have HP Omen laptop, and usually I work with two external monitors, one on HDMI and another on Display Port (DP).
I have integrated intel graphics and also discrete nvidia GPU and both nouveau and nvidia drivers, with bumblebee for switching.
I did not have to do any special configuration for that, I usually just set them up using xrandr scripts generated from randr.

Yesterday I updated my system after month or so, and external monitor that is plugged into Display Port (DP) is not detected any more.
I checked out xrandr output and it recognizes DP1 as disconnected, while it was recognized as connected before.
Combination of laptop screen and hdmi monitor works, but there are also some weird artefacts on laptop screen (sudden changes in brightness and small white rectangles at bottom).

I checked out all xorg.conf files and realized that I do not have any of them defining monitors, screens and so on, so I thought: maybe everything was working on defaults before but defaults now changed with update to xorg or some drivers, so I should define some stuff manually.
I run nvidia-xconfig and it generated xorg.config file, however startx fails after that, so I ended up removing it.

I was planning on learning more about xorg and after go and try to configure it so everything works fine, but then I decided to try how stuff works with linux-lts kernel.
What is weird is that if I switch to linux-lts, external monitor on DP is recognized correctly! What could be the reason for this, does this mean that there is a problem with the latest version of kernel?

Thank you

Last edited by Martinsos (2015-09-09 15:14:29)

#2 2015-09-14 21:01:30

charlwillia6

Re: Monitor on Display Port (DP) not detected after update

I also have the exact same issue.  I have narrowed it down between the 4.0.7 kernel and 4.1.3 kernel.  4.0.7 works fine with a DisplayPort, while using 4.1.3 and above does not.  I also have issues with the Bumblebee driver combination for the Intel/Nvidia graphics.  If I use the latest version of the driver (3.52 I think), then when my primary screen is set the right-side screen, all my windows in Chrome (particularly Hangouts, Music, Keep, etc), and some other applications (Skype), all open windows in the left side monitor.  I don't want them to open in the left side monitor, I want them to open on my primary monitor.  Driver 3.40 seems to not have this issue.  Everything opens on the correct monitor. 

The issue with the DisplayPort seems to be only an issue with the updated kernels though, and not the drivers.  Or it is the bumblebee kernel combination.  I am not sure.

#3 2015-09-15 13:02:43

Martinsos

Re: Monitor on Display Port (DP) not detected after update

@charlwillia6 Yes, I am also guessing it is something about this combination of kernel and drivers.
I had problem with multiple screens about a year ago (can't remember exactly what was the problem), also after updating, and with newer updates it was fixed.
I am hoping that something similar will happen again, but do not wish to wait for that. Who can we ask more about this?

I plan to write my own xorg.config, maybe that will fix it, but I did not get yet to it. Some useful links I found, and that I plan to go through when I get time:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/NV … e_monitors
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Multihead
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Bu … e_monitors

Board footer