You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-10 16:59:04

skiye

keeping cvs packages separated from core packages

Hello everyone,

I'm not a unix expert so I'd ask you guys what's the best way to deal with the situation: I have to develop a program using gegl, and as it still has an "unstable" api I'd like to use the latest development version. I have gimp installed from the core repo, which uses gegl version 0.2.x and babl 0.1.10. Now gegl is at version 0.3.0 and babl at 0.1.13 so I can follow two different options: clone the repositories in two directories, run configure && make and then include the headers, link against libs, in those directories or simply install gegl-git and babl-git from AUR, with the advantage of having the headers and libraries go in the right place and the ability to update everything with just a pacaur command: in a word system integration.
what I don't know is if installing the cvs packages replaces the normal (read: core) packages. For example babl-git conflicts with babl. but replacing could brake compatibility of the packages in the system, say gimp from core which expects babl 0.1.10. What should one do?
This is newbie corner so please forgive me for my limited knowledge of either linux world and, also, english :)

Thank you!

Last edited by skiye (2015-09-10 17:46:40)

#2 2015-09-10 18:17:06

ooo

Re: keeping cvs packages separated from core packages

I must say I'm not an expert on application development and building, but if you install babl-git and there's an API change, it will break any applications that were linked against babl with the old API. e.g. gimp from official arch repositories shouldn't start.

As a workaround, I think you could create chroot environment for building against the 'unstable' libraries. See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/De … ean_Chroot

Another, an possibly simpler workaround would be separate installation on virtual machine with the development libraries, and building your application there.

Board footer