You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-12 03:29:25

quequotion
Website

[SOLVED] Why doesn't epiphany install a pkgconfig file?

I'm trying to package epiphany-extensions for AUR, but I'm stuck at the point where it checks for "epiphany-3.6.pc"

The epiphany package doesn't install a pkgconfig file at all, or even generate one during build(), but it probably should; why wouldn't it?

Is there something I can feed to autogen.sh or configure that will cause a pkgconfig file to be created?

EDIT: I am aware that the abs version of epiphany is 3.16; I intend to get over that hurdle when I get to it.

EDIT again: looks like the pkgconfig file, the include files, and the concept of extensions itself have been deprecated... oh well.

Last edited by quequotion (2015-09-12 11:27:18)

#2 2015-09-12 04:01:15

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: [SOLVED] Why doesn't epiphany install a pkgconfig file?

Looking at the upstream source, I don't see a pkgconfig file.

Edit: looks like it was removed 2.5 years ago. Your software is really out of date.
https://git.gnome.org/browse/epiphany/c … f0edf15c5b

Last edited by Scimmia (2015-09-12 04:03:51)

#3 2015-09-12 11:24:55

quequotion
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Why doesn't epiphany install a pkgconfig file?

Scimmia wrote:

Edit: looks like it was removed 2.5 years ago. Your software is really out of date.
https://git.gnome.org/browse/epiphany/c … f0edf15c5b

Looks like I missed a memo; actually I only recently started to use Epiphany because it had the least extraneous dependencies to re-install after wiping my first Arch installation (trying desperately hard for a KISS policy on package management in particular, not other things).

Looks like a classic GNOME deprecation: delete something without much explanation and never replace it with anything more useful....

I get it actually, I really do; they have in mind to strip everything down to only the most vital functionality and wrap it in the least complex interface possible... but then they never get back to things like having Youtube's HTML5 videos work in Epiphany (there used to be an extension for it; which was my end goal here). The extensions were a complication they don't want, so they're gone; but the useful features they offered are gone too--even some that could have been integrated (like functional HTML5/Flash/Gstreamer? integration--the problem seems to be that Youtube offers videos in HTML5, but first spams users with advertisements in Flash which may or may not use standard codecs)...

Perhaps there's a way to fix this in WebKit...

Board footer