You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-16 19:35:51

gccpy

X11 configuration

Hello,

after using arch for 2 years I still do not like the way I configure my X server.  The configuration I need is simple: 1) I add keyboard layouts, multikey and termination options and 2) I disable mouse acceleration scheme and set constant deceleration. I tried achieving this 3 different ways:

1) I added 2 configuration files in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/
2) I added setxkbmap and xinput calls to ~/.xinitrc
3) I created 2 shell scripts that have same setxkbmap and xinput calls that I executed manually

However each of these setups has drawbacks. Global configuration files for options very specific to my user need root to change and affect other users. Commands in ~/.xinitrc are executed once and every time I reconnect my mouse -- acceleration settings are gone and I need to restart X. Manual script calls are tedious.

I would like a X configuration that works the same simple way I configure vim -- a set of X configuration files somewhere in my home folder that doesn't fail when I reconnect a device.
What is your favourite way of configuring similar stuff in X?

#2 2015-09-17 09:38:50

berbae

Re: X11 configuration

I don't think that udev/evdev hotplugging of Xorg can use conf files in $HOME,
but you can add 'MatchProduct' and 'MatchVendor' options in the 'Section "InputClass"' of the conf files to limit their use to one user with a specific keyboard and mouse,
and add as many conf files with different filters as you want.

Board footer