You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-23 19:59:27

niceman

how to have both mesa-libgl and nvidia-libgl packages installed

I have a computer which has nvidia card, I was using the proprietary driver .

I sometimes to need to switch my hard drive to a computer which has intel graphics integrated, I only managed to make sddm work when I replaced nvidia-340xx with xf86-video-intel and replace nvidia-340xx-libgl with mesa-libgl. 

Unfortunately mesa-libgl and nvidia-340xx-libgl can't coexist. 

So is there some way to install xf86-video-intel and nvidia and nvidia-340xx-libgl and mesa-libgl together and configure X to use what's proper ?

Last edited by niceman (2015-09-24 17:49:46)

#2 2015-09-23 21:15:24

karol
Archivist

Re: how to have both mesa-libgl and nvidia-libgl packages installed

You can have both packages in the cache and run a script to toggle (install) them.

#3 2015-09-23 22:02:28

fsckd
Forum Fellow

Moving from Kernel & Hardware to Applications & Desktop Environments.

aur S & M :: forum rules :: Community Ethos
Resources for Women, POC, LGBT*, and allies

#4 2015-09-23 22:29:35

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

You might want to revise the title as this doesn't seem to be about getting X to use whatever card it finds - it will do that by default.  Your only problem is that you need to have conflicting packages installed in order to use the proprietary drivers.

Unless you follow Karol's suggestion, you might need to settle for open source drivers for nvidia, or a fallback for intel (like fbdev).

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#5 2015-09-24 17:51:54

niceman

Trilby wrote:

You might want to revise the title as this doesn't seem to be about getting X to use whatever card it finds - it will do that by default.  Your only problem is that you need to have conflicting packages installed in order to use the proprietary drivers.

Unless you follow Karol's suggestion, you might need to settle for open source drivers for nvidia, or a fallback for intel (like fbdev).

I'll try Karol's suggestion later, but how would fbdev(framebuffer video driver) solve the problem ?

#6 2015-09-24 18:46:34

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

What do you mean?  You can use fbdev and not install the intel driver.  There would then be no problem to solve.

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#7 2015-09-24 19:10:32

Gusar

Trilby wrote:

What do you mean?  You can use fbdev and not install the intel driver.  There would then be no problem to solve.

But you would also be without any kind of acceleration. Not a good trade-off. Though when it comes to X drivers, there's no problem whatsoever anyway - the nvidia and intel X drivers can co-exist just fine and neither rely on opengl for acceleration (nvidia has it's own built-in render accel, intel has SNA and UXA).

The problem is opengl. You can only have one set of gl libs, that's why the nvidia-libgl and mesa-libgl packages that can't coexist. There is no solution here, just the workaround karol mentions. There is something in the works by Nvidia which allows multiple gl libs to coexist - libglvnd. But who knows when, if ever, it'll get adopted.

#8 2015-09-27 10:18:35

niceman

Gusar wrote:
Trilby wrote:

But you would also be without any kind of acceleration. Not a good trade-off. Though when it comes to X drivers, there's no problem whatsoever anyway - the nvidia and intel X drivers can co-exist just fine and neither rely on opengl for acceleration (nvidia has it's own built-in render accel, intel has SNA and UXA).

The problem is opengl. You can only have one set of gl libs, that's why the nvidia-libgl and mesa-libgl packages that can't coexist. There is no solution here, just the workaround karol mentions. There is something in the works by Nvidia which allows multiple gl libs to coexist - libglvnd. But who knows when, if ever, it'll get adopted.

Well I'm using KDE which needs opengl I suppose.

I think I'll go with the manual uninstall and install, thanks anyway.

But I'm interested in libglvnd , it says that EGL and opengl ES is not implemented but I don't need them as I use GLX(right?), So install it and that will be it ?

EDIT: seeing that the library won't deallocate means I can't use it yet in production, I think I'm going manually until the work on libglvnd finishes

Last edited by niceman (2015-09-27 10:24:54)

Board footer