You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-24 00:31:19

k9rosie

Dual boot Arch installation, need help regarding partition tables

Hello

I am trying to install Arch along side a Windows 10 x86_64 installation I have here on an old Lenovo laptop. It is a UEFI machine.
I went through the beginner's guide and everything went along smoothly, now I am trying to install systemd-boot but running bootctl install tells me that my /boot partition table is not GPT. I thought that was odd so I went to double check my partition table and sure enough it was set at 'msdos'

I looked at the article on Windows and Arch dual boot installation (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wi … _dual_boot) and went through the steps on getting the BIOS mode in Windows. msinfo32 is telling me that my BIOS mode is UEFI.

However, this bit of information on the wiki stumped me:

In general, Windows forces type of partitioning depending on the firmware mode used, i.e. if Windows is booted in UEFI mode, it can be installed only to a GPT disk. If the Windows is booted in Legacy BIOS mode, it can be installed only to a MBR (also called msdos style partitioning) disk. This is a limitation enforced by Windows installer, and as of April 2014 there is no officially (Microsoft) supported way of installing Windows in UEFI-MBR or BIOS-GPT configuration. Thus Windows only supports either UEFI-GPT boot or BIOS-MBR configuration.

Windows is telling me that my disk's partition table is UEFI-GPT while parted is saying that it's MBR. What gives?

#2 2015-09-24 19:39:01

stecco

Re: Dual boot Arch installation, need help regarding partition tables

when you boot the arch-iso, are you sure that you're booting it in uefi mode?

#3 2015-09-25 22:40:28

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: Dual boot Arch installation, need help regarding partition tables

Can we see the actual output please?

# parted -l
# gdisk /dev/sda -l

Board footer