You are not logged in.

#1 2015-09-26 15:21:28

Markismus

Where can I find info about previously unresponsive system?

Question:

My system hang yesterday and after resetting I couldn't get it to boot. Now it runs perfectly, I even got rid of some previous annoyances, but I can't find any info about what happened. Since the whole system was locked  down tight, I consider myself quite lucky, albeit somewhat concerned. So, where can I find info about a previously unresponsive, non-booting system that runs like clockwork again?

More detailed info:
I am running an 4.1.6-1-ARCH system on an old Phenom II CPU, 3.2GHz with 8GB DDR3 on a Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P F4 motherboard , a new SSD (Crucial BX100) and a bunch of harddisks. The 5 HDDs (750GB, 3x1TB and 1x2TB) are joined in RAID5 setup. Three RAID5 with 5x250GB using mdadm and LVM. One ZFS RAIDZ1 with 4x250GB. And one 1TB simple partition with Btrfs.

The system hang on the moment that I tried to open a terminal from Nautilus within the mounted ZFS zpool. At the same time I was installing a game with wine from the same ZFS zpool. Since ZFS-on-linux has hanged my system before (see my other post). It seemed like a likely culprit.

I reset the PC and it rebooted, only to hang at "loading v.522 " or something like that. At that point my keyboard lights were off and I had to reset, again. I rebooted with a thumb-drive with the latest Arch-ISO on it and after selecting the entry 86x64 (well, not i686 in any case) it hang, too. I removed all USB connected devices and rebooted, no luck. I removed all HDD (not the SDD) and booted the Arch-ISO: finally there was a prompt I could type at!!

So this morning I reconnected all HDD and typed 'e' in grub. I changed the kernel line from quiet to verbose and expected to get an idea of what the problem would be: no problems,  it booted just fine into Gnome.

I expect that disconnecting the HDD and restarting the system en reconnecting and restarting the system fixed my problem. The only point of concern is that I still don't know what my problem was, nor can I reproduce it.

dmesg

no problems.

systemctl --failed

no problems

journalctl -p 0..3 -xn

Samba has some problems, but that happened today and has something to do with cups and my printer being off.

zpool status

No known data errors.

Where could I look for info?

Last edited by Markismus (2015-09-26 15:24:16)

Board footer