You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-01 15:38:50

sietse85

Dual Boot win7 Arch separate disk

Hi all,

I have managed to install Arch on my second SSD using the well writen beginners guide. But this does not mention howto configure the bootloader when you use 2 disks.
Now i am trying to get my existing windows installation back in the Linux Boot Loader.

Both disks = UEFI BIOS / GPT

The windows boot partition is (sda1) (100MB ntfs) EFI boot loader is installed on (sdb1) (512MB fat32) ( i dont use grub or syslinux )

What are the steps i need to make to get my sda1 bootloader as an option in the boot menu.

Info:
I use a /boot partition also.

I can provide additional info if neccesary.

Hope somebody can help me. If i want to boot windows (which still succeeds) i have to change boot order in uefi bios but i prefer startup option wink

#2 2015-10-02 07:55:44

Tazmain

Re: Dual Boot win7 Arch separate disk

"Both systemd-boot and rEFInd autodetect Windows Boot Manager \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi and show it in their boot menu, so there is no manual config required.

For GRUB follow GRUB#Windows installed in UEFI-GPT Mode menu entry.

Syslinux (as of version 6.02 and 6.03-pre9) and ELILO do not support chainloading other EFI applications, so they cannot be used to chainload \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi .

Computers that come with newer versions of Windows often have secure boot enabled. You will need to take extra steps to either disable secure boot or to make your installation media compatible with secure boot. "

Only other thing I can suggest is why not use the quick boot change option. Usually a mother board has the option to select a temporary boot device when you see the board's loading screen. On MSI its the F11 button. Asus F12. Check the manual of the board to see if its not listed when the PC boots.

#3 2015-10-02 20:24:27

sietse85

Re: Dual Boot win7 Arch separate disk

Thanks i have read that. Mine doesnt get autodetected. I use F11 to change disk wink

Board footer