You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-04 17:44:20

smooveg1

NAS mount with NFS

I'm not sure if I'm explaining this exactly correct, but my issue is trying to mount a NAS that is not running as a server. The NAS is a simple LaCie network attached drive with NFS enabled; no OS is running on the NAS - it's only serving as external storage. All of the NFS-related systemd server and client services, along with the /etc/exports file, are all only running on the client.

Output of showmount -e 192.168.1.xxx [address of NAS]

/shares/Share *
/shares/Public *

When trying to manually mount for testing purposes using the standard 'mount -t nfs server:/directory client/mount' I get the error: "mount.nfs: access denied by server..."

My only thought is to force my client /etc/exports file to look something like this:
192.168.1.xxx:/shares/Share      192.168.1.1/24(ro,sync,insecure,root_squash,no_subtree_check,fsid=0)

But when I do that, the output of 'exportfs -rav' is this:
exportfs: Failed to start 192.168.1.xxx:/shares/Share: No such file or directory

If I can get this running, the idea would be for the fstab to handle the root subdirectory mounts rw.

Any assistance would be great.

Thank you!

#2 2015-10-14 19:45:00

dockland

Re: NAS mount with NFS

smooveg1 wrote:

I'm not sure if I'm explaining this exactly correct, but my issue is trying to mount a NAS that is not running as a server. The NAS is a simple LaCie network attached drive with NFS enabled; no OS is running on the NAS - it's only serving as external storage. All of the NFS-related systemd server and client services, along with the /etc/exports file, are all only running on the client.

Output of showmount -e 192.168.1.xxx [address of NAS]

/shares/Share *
/shares/Public *

When trying to manually mount for testing purposes using the standard 'mount -t nfs server:/directory client/mount' I get the error: "mount.nfs: access denied by server..."

My only thought is to force my client /etc/exports file to look something like this:
192.168.1.xxx:/shares/Share      192.168.1.1/24(ro,sync,insecure,root_squash,no_subtree_check,fsid=0)

But when I do that, the output of 'exportfs -rav' is this:
exportfs: Failed to start 192.168.1.xxx:/shares/Share: No such file or directory

If I can get this running, the idea would be for the fstab to handle the root subdirectory mounts rw.

Any assistance would be great.

Thank you!

The similar for me. Following the guide on Arch Wiki. Everything is installed and configured, with the only difference that i use my own servername and sharnames.
Doesn't work. Don't know is anyone uses NFS at all.

I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.
I use it to look at funny pictures of cats and to argue with strangers.

#3 2015-10-14 20:08:39

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

I'm not sure about your NAS, but on Arch, it works for me on multiple systems hmm  (I more or less wrote that wiki page/guide.)

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#4 2015-10-14 20:26:10

dockland

graysky wrote:

I'm not sure about your NAS, but on Arch, it works for me on multiple systems hmm  (I more or less wrote that wiki page/guide.)

It's true. I don't have a clue about the server side, it's a NAS, a QNAP TS-451 proprietary crap.
There are options like ROOT_SQUASH and so on, don't have a clue what it means, but I've tried all the 4 options, with no success.
It's mounting the folder just fine in Thunar under /mnt/Multimedia but all the sub folders has a red cross and are not accessible.
Permission denied. As for now with my client IP 192.168.0.7 with read/write  as guest (the user guest is grayed out)
Never mind, i think i can use SMB as well, but it's not as fast.

I possess a device, in my pocket, that is capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man.

#5 2015-10-14 20:29:29

graysky
Wiki Maintainer
Website

I'm sure you can get it working... perhaps there is a support forum for your specific hardware?  What version of nfs is running on it?

CPU-optimized Linux-ck packages @ Repo-ck  • AUR packagesZsh and other configs

#6 2015-10-14 20:47:07

dockland

graysky wrote:

I'm sure you can get it working... perhaps there is a support forum for your specific hardware?  What version of nfs is running on it?

Well, SMB is working fine. The NAS states NFS v2/v3, but there are not that many options. So i'll just stick with SMB for now.
Thanks anyway.

Board footer