You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-09 23:39:11

brando56894

[Solved] Boot Halts Because /usr/bin/plymouth Isn't Found

During the last few days during an upgrade or something, plymouth started to get called during bootup, but this is where it gets odd: I never installed plymouth. It is nowhere to be found on my system and I have no idea what's calling it. I only have six services enabled (can't remember which since I'm in Windows now), and after looking through them the only one that mentioned plymouth was displaymanager and it was after=kill-plymouth.service. I deleted that argument since there were two others in the array, but that didn't fix it. Plymouth also isn't mentioned at all in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf so it's not in my initrd.img. I have no idea where it's being called from and it's driving me crazy. Journalctl and systemctl status don't tell me much other than /usr/bin/plymouth failed to run and that's why it dropped me into emergency mode.

How can I look deeper into my boot process and figure out what's calling it if dmesg/journalctl -xb isn't telling me anything useful and I can't find it in any unit files?

Last edited by brando56894 (2015-10-10 12:50:44)

#2 2015-10-10 04:23:34

HappyClown

Re: [Solved] Boot Halts Because /usr/bin/plymouth Isn't Found

If it's in your bin, it's usually bootable. Maybe plymouth was installed as a dependancy? Can you find it in the output of pacman -Q ? Which boo loader are you using?

#3 2015-10-10 05:08:39

Scimmia
Fellow

Not finding plymouth is not the reason it's going into emergency mode. Keep looking.

#4 2015-10-10 12:22:25

brando56894

I don't know how much deeper I can dig! These are the services that are enabled: dhcpcd, display-manager, dkms, getty@, ntpd, sddm, systemd-timesyncd, rpcbind, nfs-client, remote-fs

The things that happen before emergency.service: Failed at step EXEC spawning /bin/plymouth: No such file or directory are sound.target which starts successfully and the initialization of the nouveau driver. I have a feeling it may be nouveau. I have removed both xf86-video-nouveau and nouveau-firmware and regenerated my initramfs but it still loads for some reason. It's not getting called from the initramfs, nor is it anywhere in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d but it's found in multiple places in /usr/lib even after removing the associated packages.

HappyClown wrote:

If it's in your bin, it's usually bootable. Maybe plymouth was installed as a dependancy? Can you find it in the output of pacman -Q ? Which boo loader are you using?

Nope not found in the output of pacman -Q, it can't be found with locate plymouth either after updating the database. I'm using EFI Grub.

#5 2015-10-10 12:37:42

brando56894

Ok, I seem to have somehow fixed it but regenerating grub.cfg and removing all non-essential mounts in /etc/fstab. Now the only problem is that plasmashell crashes in my KDE session just gives me a black screen with a cursor, probably because I removed everything I could find related to nouvea. Gonna reinstall it to see if that gets me anywhere.

#6 2015-10-10 12:50:23

brando56894

All is well now! Thanks.

Board footer