You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-06 03:10:01

ScriptDevil

KDE Howto, for an absolute newbie.

I have just moved to arch after ubuntu and fedora. I moved to arch after findind underground desktop, based on arch. I loved arch when i read the documentation. But how do i install kde on the system. I think arch-0.7.1
comes without a desktop manager( i got the full not base). If so is the command,
             pacman -Sy kde ??
what else do i type for open office with kde and its applications.
Also i want to setup my adsl connection through my ethernet card. I did this in Underground desktop by using the lan setup option, (mine uses Dynamic IP.) and then clicking connect. How do i do it in arch
Looking to get away from depending on gui configuration utilities
ScriptDevil

Be yourself, because you are all that you can be

#2 2006-04-06 03:39:05

viniosity
Website

Re: KDE Howto, for an absolute newbie.

There's a lot of info here:

http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Category:Desktop

including KDE and Openoffice.  I just starting using kde myself.. it was super easy on Arch.. it's quite an amazing distro.

#3 2006-04-07 02:06:18

ScriptDevil

Fine I installed arch, but how do i setup the network,
It is through the ethernet card, eth0
I got it working in Underground 022 linux,( based on arch) by double clicking lan setup icon and then ok with dhcp.
Then i right clicked the icon of the connection created in the system bar and clicked connect and bingo it worked.
Note: the modem(through eth0) does not need a username and passwd. It is stored in the modem itself So please guide me abt this
Regards
Ash

#4 2006-04-07 02:19:00

McQueen

ScriptDevil wrote:

Fine I installed arch, but how do i setup the network,
It is through the ethernet card, eth0

This bit of configuration works for me: DHCP IP Setup

/path/to/Truth

#5 2006-04-07 03:33:44

lilsirecho
Veteran

Script Devil;

You set-up etho for either DHCP or ADSL in the install procedure via the install CD.

When you reach the configuration step, the etho connection is made in rc.conf configuration step.

KDE should be added after xorg is configured and is enabled by pacman -Sy kde which loads about 270mb of data for all apps in KDE.

The recommended procedure for install is to install the base packages only.

After booting into your system, then move on to xorg and kde if desired.

You first need to get the internet running in the base install procedure.

The install CD has a lengthy procedure in a readme file which covers all elements of the arch install of the base system.  The actual install is simplified and faster if you stay with the base install.

Must reading!!!

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#6 2006-04-30 15:51:52

ScriptDevil

I did as was said, and i found that once i did the kde install using pacman -Syf , i cound not get the kde thing working, by adding in xinitrc, So i had to move to freebsd which gave me similar errors, but once i put gdm it worked. how do i install gdm in arch and how do i make it give me a graphical login on startup instead of me giving startx
Also is it true that if i use fluxbox, gdm is automatically installed and started on botting the next time onwards

#7 2006-04-30 17:32:23

briancurtin
Website

ScriptDevil wrote:

how do i install gdm in arch and how do i make it give me a graphical login on startup instead of me giving startx
Also is it true that if i use fluxbox, gdm is automatically installed and started on botting the next time onwards

pacman -S gdm

gandalf made this (http://wael.nasreddine.com/Articles/Art … Linux.html) and i used it alongside the Arch official documentation, it made things easy for the first time through. he covers installing gnome and gdm, just swap kde for gnome there.

#8 2006-05-01 01:44:06

ScriptDevil

Thanks BrianCurtin, i think it will work, i am not choosy abt kde, actually i wanted to try fluxbox, i will follow the instructions i the gndalf site word to word, and after i get gnome working, i'll try fluxbox. Thanks man

Board footer