You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-10 15:35:45

kenwong

System hangs

My wife's account uses GNOME, while mine GNOME Classic.

This morning, when my wife's session was being locked, i tried to log in my account.  That caused the sytem to hang completely.  I had to power off it.  After it is restarted, i lost my wifi icon and the spinning circle showing while launching an application changed to something looked random.

Upon my another log in after the above mentioned incident, i changed to GNOME.  It was a success.  Then, i logged out and tried to log in again but this time with GNOME Classic.  The system hang entirely.

Seems that something will go wrong when it attempts to change from GNOME to GNOME Classic?

How can i get back my wifi icon and the normal spinning circle?

Thanks in advance.

#2 2015-10-11 00:28:19

HappyClown

Re: System hangs

It sounds like a kernel panic. Unfortunately, I don't know much about these, as I'm currently dealing with them without any help. Are your keyboard indicators flashing when this happens? It sounds like your desktop environment may be broken as well, pacman -Syu may be able to fix your DE issue, but the will probably panics still occour. If you ever find out how to deal with a panic, please write about it on this thread. Also, there's something called the magic SysRq key which you can use to send commands straight to the linux kernel. Look it up. Can you change tty's?

#3 2015-10-12 02:52:35

HappyClown

If you're still watching this thread, I've switched to the LTS kernel and it runs perfectly.

#4 2015-10-19 16:42:43

kenwong

Thanks and sorry for the belated reply.

Unfortunately, pacman -Syu doesn't help fix the two icons' issue.

I haven't tried downgrading the kernel yet.

Board footer