You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-13 01:13:44

ProtoTech

UEFI Installation Black Screen

When trying to install Arch from UEFI mode I end up with a black screen. I do get to the bootloader, but once I select to boot Arch, it results in a black screen with no cursor. I have tried booting with nomodeset and nvidia.modset = 0, but neither helped. I can boot into legacy BIOS mode, but for my needs I need a UEFI installation. I searched around a bit and couldn't find many other suggestions other than nomodeset, so some help on this would be nice. I am also currently running Antergos in UEFI mode on a GPT partitioned SSD, so all of my UEFI/BIOS settings are correct and this should be possible.

MOBO: GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU: Intel Core i7
GPU: Nvidia 740

EDIT

I also tried removing my GPU and booting with only the Intel graphics, but it resulted in the same thing.
And I tried unplugging all of my boot drives other than the desired installation drive.

Would it be possible to boot into legacy mode, but follow the UEFI instructions to install a UEFI system on GPT?

Last edited by ProtoTech (2015-10-13 02:19:37)

#2 2015-10-13 08:24:23

olive

Re: UEFI Installation Black Screen

What boot loader are you using . If you use grub you may have to add

insmod efi_gop
insmod efi_uga

in grub.cfg.

It is possible to install in Bios mode and switch to UEFI afterwards but you must be careful of a few things. One possibility is to partion your hard disk as you will do in UEFI (GPT partitions, a UEFI system partition) and install syslinux in the "UEFI system partition" (you have to make it legacy bootable and install the gptmbr.bin, you probably can't use the install script). FRom there it is easy to switch to UEFI.

#3 2015-10-13 08:30:15

SaltySockets

Remove "quiet" from the kernel command line. It might print somethng and then stall at some stage.

#4 2015-10-13 22:36:44

mrunion
Website

Also, do you need the microcode update? I've read of situations where not installing it can cause a black screen. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Microcode YMMV

Matt

"It is very difficult to educate the educated."

#5 2015-10-15 19:55:18

Blasphemist

What is different when you install Arch when compared to your Antergos configuration? Be sure to use the same UEFI settings. Don't go to legacy mode and use the same video settings. What boot loader/manager are you using? Are you passing kernel parameters from that loader/manager? Have you added Arch to that boot loader/manager? Does it matter if you use the boot loader installed with Antergos or the one you installed with Arch? Did you by chance use /boot as the mount point for both Antergos and Arch? If you did, that must change. Both distros use the same kernel name and if both are putting a kernel at the root of the ESP the updates will conflict. I'm just trying to think this through and is UEFI is set the same, there is no kernel conflict, the same kernel params are passed, that would seem to point to drivers or something in the graphics stack.

Simple and Open

Board footer