You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-13 04:32:22

decuser

How exactly do you remap a key combo in console?

Hi,

Total newb here....

Setup: Arch Linux archlinux-2015.09.01 on HP Chromebook 14, bare metal, John Lewis Seabios, base base-devel xfce4 and its dependencies plus a few essentials - vim, emacs, gdb, but nothing exotic. All of the recommended tweaks from the Arch wiki remapped some keys in X (some work, like F1-F10, some not so much, like backlight, volume, etc), put in the suspend fix, got wifi working and so on.

My problem is that I am not able to successfully map my Shift + Page Up or Shift + Page Down functions in the console. My Chromebook doesn't have dedicated page up or page down keys, so I was thinking I could map Shift + CTRL + DOWN ARROW to the Page Down function or something similar, but I haven't had much success with making changes that work.  The wiki talks about X, which doesn't help for console and it talks about mapping the left control to the right control keys, but that is unhelpful because it only talks about a single key with a known scancode, not a combination. Most of what I found on the web seemed geared toward nearly extinct terminal keyboards, IBM PC keyboards, or other strange beasts, but nothing that seemed current enough to follow along with.

What is the currently recommended approach to remapping a key combination (Shift+Ctrl+Down Arrow) to a standard key action (Next/Page Down) in console and what are the tools? I've come across showkey and I've looked at the i386/qwerty keymap file, and I glom the difference between ascii, scan code, key code and keysym, but don't really know what to do with this information or what to do next. Any help is appreciated and if you know of a comprehensive/canonical discussion or a relevant step by step howto, please reply with a link.

Thanks,

Will

Board footer