You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-13 16:02:42

Dregel

Dual boot with Win 10 drive with no EFI entry.

I've got a separate hard drive with Win 10 on it that i installed about a month ago.
When I installed it the Windows installer somehow got a hold of my Linux drive and formatted it, so I ended up having to reinstall Arch as well.
And I'm not really sure why i did it but for some reason i got rid of the UEFI entry for the win partition when reinstalling Arch and now i can't reach it.
And since Win 10 have no downloadable recovery disk, I feel like I'm quite screwed and will have to reinstall Win 7 and then upgrade to Win 10 all over again in order to get access to it again, all at the risk of once again having my Linux drive formatted against my will by the lousy Windows installer.

Is there any way to create the necessary files on the boot partition to boot Win 10 or am I screwed?

EDIT:
I spoke a tad to soon because I have now found the install medium download for Win 10!
It will take a while to download and burn a disk, so please let me know if anyone have any better ideas!

Last edited by Dregel (2015-10-13 16:06:43)

#2 2015-10-13 16:14:13

olive

Re: Dual boot with Win 10 drive with no EFI entry.

This question is more a Windows question than an (Arch)linux question. I think you can use the Windows 10 installer disk as a rescue disc. These disks are downloadable here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar … ndows10ISO You can use these disks for the upgrade but you have to launch the setup from windows 7 or 8.1. Once your upgrade is activated, you can reinstall using the disc and it will reactivate, recognizing your machine. I have found this page to repair Windows boot process in UEFI mode: http://superuser.com/questions/460762/h … bootloader you can try with Windows 10.

Last edited by olive (2015-10-13 16:15:18)

#3 2015-10-13 16:32:40

Dregel

Re: Dual boot with Win 10 drive with no EFI entry.

Thanks olive!
I figured as much.

And yeah, it might be more of a Win question than an arch question, but I figured that someone else might know of a nifty way to generate the needed files from within Linux without the hassle of having to download and burn Win 10 install disks, and in doing so not have to worry about the Win installer formatting my whole drive just in order to install its bootloader. smile

Board footer