You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-15 11:50:32

Dipro

Laptop SVE1712Q1E - Stuck to Windows?

Hi Guys,

I've been playing around with Arch for quite a while now, and it is always my go-to distro due to the sheer amount of support, the wiki, and the AUR. The problem I have is that with my laptop I find that the battery life is very low, and not competitive with Windows.

On Windows I can expect around 4-5 hours battery life, whereas on Arch I find that it is max 3 hours. I've tried installed laptop-mode-tools to save battery power however still no success. (I have an upgraded battery, not the stock battery). Is there anything I can do to improve the battery life to match Windows? or narrow the gap?

As an extension to the previous question - Which would be the best desktop environment to provide a balance of eye candy and battery life?

Another issue I have is that my laptop model has an ATI card: 7650M which I'm unsure if this is a hybrid Intel/ATI card - Can anyone confirm this? I suspect it's not though.
Can anyone also suggest which driver is should install?

I will be using my laptop for my commute, so movies, some programming, web browsing, occasionally simple gaming.

Dipro,

#2 2015-10-15 12:06:27

jf25

Re: Laptop SVE1712Q1E - Stuck to Windows?

Dipro wrote:

Another issue I have is that my laptop model has an ATI card: 7650M which I'm unsure if this is a hybrid Intel/ATI card - Can anyone confirm this? I suspect it's not though.

You can find out if you have more than one graphics card with
xrandr --listproviders
Read this for more explaination.

Dipro wrote:

Can anyone also suggest which driver is should install?

The open-source radeon driver is almost certainly the best choice for you. Especially if you want to switch between Intel and AMD graphics with PRIME.

#3 2015-10-15 13:39:13

Dipro

Thank you for the reply jf25.

Any suggestion on a desktop environment? which one provides the longest battery life? and any further tips to save battery power?

#4 2015-10-15 18:12:11

jf25

I think the impact of the desktop environment might be a bit overrated. I personally use Cinnamon and didn't expericence worse battery life than with Windows 7. But I haven't made any tests related to power consumption with other DEs and I'm not an expert at all.

Did you read these articles?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Po … rgy_saving
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Laptop

Board footer