You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-06 20:21:08

lucke

putting disk to sleep ... efficiently

Okay, guys. I could use some assistance here.

I have a hdd, good ol' Maxtor 60GB, fat32 formatted, holding my rarely used WinXP installation and part of my music collection. I have it mounted on /win/c and seldom use it whatsoever - only when I listen to that part of my collection with amarok. The problem about that otherwise nice hdd is that it's mightly noisy when turned on (I'm a true silence seeker as of late) - thus I put it to sleep, hoping to have to bare that noise only when I need to access the disk. Yet, it isn't that simple - it just loves to wake up every now and then, especially when I open some new shell (in Konsole or Yakuake - note: it's not unmounted).

Would anyone have any suggestion how to make it wake up as rarely as possible (ie. only when I listen to music placed on it)?

#2 2006-04-08 10:46:31

vidal

Re: putting disk to sleep ... efficiently

Unmount?

#3 2006-04-08 15:59:56

Neuro

man hdparm

-S     Set  the standby (spindown) timeout for the drive.  This value is used by the drive to determine how long to wait (with no disk activity) before turning off the spindle motor to save power.  Under such circumstances,  the  drive  may  take  as long as 30 seconds to respond to a subsequent disk access, though most drives are much quicker.  The encoding of the timeout value  is  somewhat  peculiar.   A value  of  zero means "timeouts are disabled": the device will not automatically enter standby mode.               Values from 1 to 240 specify multiples of 5 seconds, yielding timeouts from 5 seconds to 20 minutes.  Values  from  241 to 251 specify from 1 to 11 units of 30 minutes, yielding timeouts from 30 minutes to 5.5 hours.  A value of 252 signifies a timeout of 21 minutes. A  value  of  253  sets  a  vendor-defined timeout period between 8 and 12 hours, and the value 254 is reserved.  255 is interpreted as 21 minutes plus 15 seconds.  Note that some older drives may have very different interpretations  of these values.

Note: Your disk might not support these, but it's highly propable that it does.

Apart from that, turn off your KDED and Media Notifier Deamon services in KDE. They tend to look through fstab entries from time to time.

#4 2006-04-08 16:06:52

lucke

Yes, I've used hdparm -S indeed. The problem was the disk waking up from time to time, without a visible reason - yet, it seems I've pinned the problem down (stupid me) - my wallpaper was placed on that drive :-S

Anyway, thanks for your assistance.

Board footer