You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-21 08:01:01

zabrielza

Reinstall Arch with existing partitions

How can I reinstall with existing partitions. I have ssd/hard drive mix on my system. I had configured the partitions the way I wanted. Is there any way to find the mountpoints of each one of them as they were in the previous installation? Also, I need to keep /data partition as it is without loosing any data. I think that if I do not mount /data but everything else is mounted it will be safe for /data, am I wrong?

#2 2015-10-21 08:36:33

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Reinstall Arch with existing partitions

Presumably you already know which partitions are mounted where, this is your system after all. Failing that, check fstab.

I'm not sure why you want to reinstall, but at the very least, if you want a clean start, you should create a new file system on the root partition (and any other system partitions, e.g. /usr, /var), just make sure to backup any user data on these partitions before you do. You should have your /data partition mounted when you run genfstab, but you can leave it unmounted when you run pacstrap if you're so inclined.

Last edited by WorMzy (2015-10-21 08:40:40)

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2015-10-21 08:37:15

satanselbow

List your partitions with pertinent, identifiable info:

sudo lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL

Does rather beg the question - "Why do you need to reinstall?"

Reading the Beginners / Installation guides will answer the rest of your questions.

#4 2015-10-21 08:50:16

zabrielza

WorMzy wrote:

Presumably you already know which partitions are mounted where, this is your system after all. Failing that, check f stab.

I'm not sure why you want to reinstall, but at the very least, if you want a clean start, you should create a new file system on the root partition (and any other system partitions, e.g. /usr, /var), just make sure to backup any user data on these partitions before you do. You should have your /data partition mounted when you run genfstab, but you can leave it unmounted when you run pacstrap if you're so inclined.

I have 6 and 5 partitions in each device.

SSD Partitions:   /, /boot, /usr, /usr/local, /opt and 4G free space ( TOTAL 60GB)
HDD Partitions:  /home, swap, /var, /data, /tmp                          ( TOTAL 1000GB)

The thing is I do not remember in the ssd device each partition's mountpoint, because of different sizes. Is there any command to list the previous mountpoints?

Yes, I want a clean start, so in each partition except /data i plan to run

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdxy

Does this create a new file system?

List your partitions with pertinent, identifiable info:

sudo lsblk -o NAME,FSTYPE,SIZE,MOUNTPOINT,LABEL

Does rather beg the question - "Why do you need to reinstall?"
Reading the Beginners / Installation guides will answer the rest of your questions.

I already read The beginners guide. I am not sure If I have to recreate the partitions or only to format them to the right filesystem as mentioned above. I need to reinstall, because after an upgrade I am facing sound and graphics card issues that I have not found any solutions. So, I prefer to reinstall in order to not waiting for help in the forums, as i have not found anything while searching.

#5 2015-10-21 09:07:12

zabrielza

I suspect that

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdxy

creates a new filesystem. So, my main concern now is that /data is under an extende partition with two other partitions that are logical and i want to create filesystem on those two. So, will /data be safe after that?

#6 2015-10-21 09:50:06

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Rather than suspecting things, check the man pages and find out for sure. You must have created the filesystems you're currently using when you originally installed, why is it causing you so much confusion now?

If checking your old fstab (or mount units, if you opted for native-systemd mounting) to find out which partition should be mounted where isn't an option, then you will have to mount each partition manually and identify which is which manually.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#7 2015-10-21 10:05:21

satanselbow

zabrielza wrote:

I have 6 and 5 partitions in each device.

SSD Partitions:   /, /boot, /usr, /usr/local, /opt and 4G free space ( TOTAL 60GB)
HDD Partitions:  /home, swap, /var, /data, /tmp                          ( TOTAL 1000GB)

The thing is I do not remember in the ssd device each partition's mountpoint, because of different sizes. Is there any command to list the previous mountpoints?

I think you really need to do some extra reading and ensure that you are completely satisfied that you know what a "mountpoint" actually is as your own example provides those details. A "partition" and a "mountpoint" are NOT the same thing.

You actually seem to be struggling to associate those mountpoints to the partitions they physically reside on.

If your "/data" partition is the one you treasure most dear (presumably as it holds your "personal data") you may want to make multiple, secure backups before you proceed further.

#8 2015-10-21 10:07:16

zabrielza

WorMzy wrote:

Rather than suspecting things, check the man pages and find out for sure. You must have created the filesystems you're currently using when you originally installed, why is it causing you so much confusion now?

If checking your old fstab (or mount units, if you opted for native-systemd mounting) to find out which partition should be mounted where isn't an option, then you will have to mount each partition manually and identify which is which manually.

Well, i got nervous and stressed because i might loose all the data. Obviously, I have to start backing up the data i want. Actually, it was simpler and safer than i thought, i mounted /data only when generating fstab and everything went smooth. Thanks

#9 2015-10-21 11:12:08

byte

Rather than just using plain mkfs.somefs it's also a good idea to read the corresponding manpage so you know how to put an individual label ("root", "home", whatever) on each filesystem.

Board footer