You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-22 21:41:08

ayekat

[SOLVED?] IP packet forwarding, netfilter issues

Today, I was using linux 4.2.3-1, and I had the following setup:

• My machine (the "host"), connected to the internet via WiFi, wlp3s0

• Another machine (the "guest") connected to the host via ethernet, on the host's enp0s25

I wanted to masquerade packets for the guest, and I had this in the host's iptables:

~ $ sudo iptables -vL
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 28 packets, 3592 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination         

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 29 packets, 1998 bytes)
~ $ sudo iptables -vL -t nat
Chain PREROUTING (policy ACCEPT 38 packets, 5892 bytes)

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 15 packets, 3960 bytes)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 254 packets, 16832 bytes)

Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
  255 16916 MASQUERADE  all  --  any    wlp3s0  anywhere             anywhere            

IP packet forwarding was enabled on the host (via config in /etc/sysctl.d):

~ $ sysctl net.ipv4.ip_forward
net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1

However, when I pinged something (e.g. 8.8.8.8) from the guest, I saw via tcpdump that packets entered the host machine (via ethernet), but did not quit the host machine on the WiFi side.

Then, via sysctl I disabled and re-enabled IP packet forwarding, and the packets were then properly forwarded to the WiFi interface - HOWEVER their IP address was not masqueraded (i.e. they had the network-internal IP address as source address), and obviously there was no ICMP response.

I thought all of this was weird, so I installed the current linux-lts package (4.1.10-2) and booted into that.
As before, IP packet forwarding was enabled on the host (via config in /etc/sysctl.d), but packets were not forwarded, so I re-enabled it, and packet forwarding worked. Weird.
Then, I applied the iptables setup as above, and packets were masqueraded correctly. Everything fine there.

Question

Why would the value of net.ipv4.ip_forward need to be reapplied after a boot? Is there something I am missing? It behaves like this for both the LTS kernel and the current one. And I'm pretty sure IP forwarding still worked correctly a few weeks back.

Also, what bothers me is that iptables would not masquerade the packets correctly with the current kernel, whereas it does on the LTS kernel. Is this a bug, or am I the only one experiencing this?

With nftables, the behaviour is exactly the same.

Last edited by ayekat (2015-10-23 09:01:19)

pkgshackscfgblag

#2 2015-10-23 01:05:00

branch

Re: [SOLVED?] IP packet forwarding, netfilter issues

ayekat wrote:

Question

Why would the value of net.ipv4.ip_forward need to be reapplied after a boot? Is there something I am missing? It behaves like this for both the LTS kernel and the current one. And I'm pretty sure IP forwarding still worked correctly a few weeks back.

Are you using systemd-networkd? If so, did you set "IPForward=yes" in the .network files for each interface? Unfortunately systemd-networkd will override the sysctl setting if this is not set.

#3 2015-10-23 09:01:02

ayekat

Re: [SOLVED?] IP packet forwarding, netfilter issues

Indeed, I switched to configuring my network through systemd-networkd about 10 days ago, and it turns out that systemd-networkd sets the value for net.ipv4.conf.<interface>.forwarding to 0 if not explicitly specified (so IP forwarding, although enabled globally, was disabled on a per-interface basis - my facepalm moment). Now IP forwarding works correctly. Thanks a lot!

Also, since I was reading up on IP forwarding and masquerading by systemd, I have enabled the `IPMasquerading` option in the corresponding interface configuration, and it works fine, too. As such, I mark the problem as solved.

However, I'm still a little confused about why iptables would not correctly masquerade packets with the new kernel, whereas it works correctly on the LTS kernel...

pkgshackscfgblag

Board footer