You are not logged in.

#1 2015-10-31 09:39:24

bibek22

Font/text rendering in linux

Where can I learn about how font/text in general are rendered and/or any layers of interfaces involved till say an x windows pushes a text on screen?
I was messing with conky and found that it, my install at least, doesn't render devanagari(Nepali) fonts. Few days ago, I fixed the same problem with system by installing few devanagari fonts.
That solved the issue with many apps like chrome and emacs.
So, I thought why would conky not be able to render it.

So, while solution with the conky is also very helpful and desirable, I am more intereted in reading about what it takes to render font in screen in linux system.

Thanks!

As you can probably already tell, I'm totally lost and have no idea in this area.

Last edited by bibek22 (2015-10-31 09:58:53)

#2 2015-10-31 10:38:25

mastorak

Re: Font/text rendering in linux

You can check the font configuration arch wiki page. It contains a lot of information about how the system handles fonts.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Font_configuration

#3 2015-10-31 15:08:05

bibek22

Re: Font/text rendering in linux

I hadn't read the article. That was helpful to some extent. But I'd prefer to see article that explains the "workflow" for font rendering from application to hardware. I tend to get lost reading article that explains a bit here and another there. I'm complete beginner in this regard as I mentioned already.
Thanks anyway.

Board footer