You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-01 11:42:07

sosonok

[REQUEST] Send Anywhere (file transfer)

A cross-platform file sharing service which allows users to easily share digital content peer-to-peer, in real-time, without cloud storage.
Unlike messenger or cloud based storage apps Send Anywhere allows the end user to send as many files, of any file type and size, as many times as they want, across Android, iOS, and Desktop. Send Anywhere utilizes p2p networking to bypass cloud storage thereby making the transfer process more secure and quicker. Furthermore, Send Anywhere requires no login or registration - all that is needed is a one time six digit code that will sync the sending and receiving device.

https://send-anywhere.com/

Last edited by sosonok (2015-11-01 11:50:39)

#2 2015-11-01 13:15:13

Awebb

Re: [REQUEST] Send Anywhere (file transfer)

What exactly do you request? How does your PKGBUILD look so far? Where do you hit trouble?

#3 2015-11-01 13:37:29

sosonok

Errr... sorry. I thought the requests were for someone else to create the PKGBUIKD.

#4 2015-11-01 14:18:33

Awebb

It is. It's just easier to find people to do it, if you have already tried and just failed. How about we do it together? Make a basic PKGBUILD and we'll help you with the details.

#5 2015-11-01 16:34:21

sosonok

I'd never thought about doing such a thing, but I'll read the documentation and try.

#6 2016-01-02 14:55:52

jadelord

sosonok wrote:

Errr... sorry. I thought the requests were for someone else to create the PKGBUIKD.

Hey... I managed to install it. I also submitted the PKGBUILD and other scripts to AUR. Here is the link:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/sendanywhere/

Do try and let me know, if you cannot install.

#7 2016-01-03 17:11:04

Lone_Wolf

You don't need an if/else/fi block anymore to deal with sourcefiles for different architectures, check PKGBUILD page  in wiki

Your package doesn't list any dependencies, which is very unusal.

Look up helix debtap utility, https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=187558 . It can make converting a .deb-package to an archlinux PKGBUILD much easier.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2016-01-03 17:11:24)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#8 2016-01-04 13:18:04

jadelord

Lone_Wolf wrote:

You don't need an if/else/fi block anymore to deal with sourcefiles for different architectures, check PKGBUILD page  in wiki

I tried not to use if/else/fi, but while running makepkg -si   both the deb sources are downloaded which I felt was unnecessary wastage of data.

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Your package doesn't list any dependencies, which is very unusal.

The sendanywhere deb package has precompiled binaries. Similar to https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/mendeleydesktop/, of which PKGBUILD I followed as a reference.

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Look up helix debtap utility, https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=187558 . It can make converting a .deb-package to an archlinux PKGBUILD much easier.

I can check it out. But is it relevant if sendanywhere is a binary package? As far as I know, I should not repack binaries into tar balls.

#9 2016-01-04 14:29:33

Lone_Wolf

Unless the pre-compiled binaries are built statically (which is rare), they will have some dependencies.

running namcap on the *.pkg.tar.xz helpswith determining dependencies.

I looked a bit more into debtap,and it seems to create an AL  package, not  a PKGBUILD. Whether it's useful for you i can't determine.

Are you aware that .deb-files are archives and ar can handle them,so you don't need dpkg ?
See [1] for an example of a PKGBUILD  that uses ar & tar on a .deb source.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/ … ups-lb-bin

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#10 2016-01-06 09:49:38

jadelord

@Lone_Wolf: Those were really good advices. Thanks a lot smile

I got rid of dpkg, it was the right thing to do. With help from namcap and debtap, I managed to find out what the missing dependencies were.
Added some enhancements to the install script as well.

But I still have that if/else/fi clause. I would like to remove it, but I don't see a way to restrict makepkg from downloading only one source suitable for its architecture.
Other than that, I think I got it right this time. Cheers!

#11 2016-01-06 14:50:59

Scimmia
Fellow

makepkg will only download the file needed for the given architecture. I don't know what you're talking about there.

#12 2016-01-06 15:00:55

jadelord

Scimmia wrote:

makepkg will only download the file needed for the given architecture. I don't know what you're talking about there.

I understand now. I thought makepkg behaved similarly while using the -S and -s options. Apparently not.
EDIT: NB: The following output was without the if/else/fi clause for architecture

$ makepkg -S
==> Making package: sendanywhere 1.12.18-2 (Wed  6 Jan 15:53:49 CET 2016)
==> Retrieving sources...
  -> Downloading sendanywhere_latest_i386.deb...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 18.5M  100 18.5M    0     0   818k      0  0:00:23  0:00:23 --:--:-- 1198k
  -> Downloading sendanywhere_latest_amd64.deb...
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  1 18.2M    1  223k    0     0  54962      0  0:05:48  0:00:04  0:05:44 549

makepkg -si will download and install only what is required. The help is quite misleading:
  -s, --syncdeps   Install missing dependencies with pacman
  -S, --source     Generate a source-only tarball without downloaded sources

since it says "..without downloaded sources"

Last edited by jadelord (2016-01-06 15:05:06)

#13 2016-01-06 16:18:28

Scimmia
Fellow

Looking at the current PKGBUILD, it's still doing way more than it needs to. The .deb file should already be extracted, so you don't need to do that yourself. Because of that, there's no reason for the if/else/fi block at all. Not sure what the point is of extracting the control file and checking the checksums, as the checksum of the .deb file was already checked. Just extract the data file directly to $pkgdir with the -C option and be done with it.

The deps are also still screwy. The only makedep that you have in there that makes sense is tar, and that can be substituted for bsdtar, which is required by pacman. Wildly different deps between architectures doesn't make any sense, either, not to mention that there is no "lib32" on i686.

Last edited by Scimmia (2016-01-06 16:20:42)

#14 2016-01-06 16:46:58

jadelord

Are you saying the deb extracts itself without using the ar and tar commands. Strange!

I added a check for md5sums because... no sha256sum is provided by the sendanywhere team. Therefore I would have to keep entering it manually for every new release. A better option would be to set sha256sum as skip for the source checksum and then to check the md5sum mentioned inside control.

The dependencies are whatever namcap told me. I can remove the makedepends if you think it is unnecessary.

Last edited by jadelord (2016-01-06 16:52:09)

#15 2016-01-06 16:57:08

jadelord

That being said.. How do I correctly deduce the dependencies for i686 while using a x86_64 machine?

#16 2016-01-06 16:57:34

Scimmia
Fellow

jadelord wrote:

Are you saying the deb extracts itself without using the ar and tar commands. Strange!

No, I'm saying that makepkg will extract any archives in the source array; that includes .deb files.

jadelord wrote:

I added a check for md5sums because... no sha256sum is provided by the sendanywhere team. Therefore I would have to keep entering it manually for every new release. A better option would be to set sha256sum as skip for the source checksum and then to check the md5sum mentioned inside control.

The checksum is there to verify that the file the user downloaded is the same as the file you downloaded. Using the md5sum file inside control just proves that anyone that modified the data modified the md5sum file as well. ie, it's useless for this.

jadelord wrote:

The dependencies are whatever namcap told me. I can remove the makedepends if you think it is unnecessary.

Think about this logically, don't just blindly take what something tells you. For the makedepends, which of those is actually being used at build time?

#17 2016-01-06 17:05:21

jadelord

Scimmia wrote:

No, I'm saying that makepkg will extract any archives in the source array; that includes .deb files.

OK. I will check and fix that

Scimmia wrote:

Think about this logically, don't just blindly take what something tells you. For the makedepends, which of those is actually being used at build time

This deb package is precompiled...so no building takes place. The binary file included depends on certain libraries, which I felt should be mentioned as dependencies.

#18 2016-01-10 21:09:30

helix

Lone_Wolf wrote:

Are you aware that .deb-files are archives and ar can handle them,so you don't need dpkg ?
See [1] for an example of a PKGBUILD  that uses ar & tar on a .deb source.

Exactly, even debtap uses ar to extract .deb packages. It is indeed used to create directly AL packages, but since it translates the dependencies names to match the Arch packages naming it still can be useful to fill a new PKGBUILD with them. In other words it doesn't replace PKGBUILDs, but it works as a helping tool to write them, using existing binary .deb packages.

Board footer