You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-01 14:38:59

splntrdgrss

[SOLVED] Mullvad does not work.

As in the title, Mullvad does not work. I have tried both the Arch wiki suggested configuration and the AUR package.

Running it from the application bar in KDE doesn't do a thing, and running it in terminal outputs the following error:

15:39:41: Warning: Mismatch between the program and library build versions detected.
The library used 3.0 (wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1008,wx containers,compatible with 2.8),
and wxPython used 3.0 (wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1002,wx containers,compatible with 2.8).
changing directory to /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad
Setting logging directory to /home/(...)
CRITICAL: An uncaught exception occured: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/mtunnel", line 9, in <module>
    load_entry_point('mullvad==53', 'console_scripts', 'mtunnel')()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/tunnelprocess.py", line 118, in main
    main_args(args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/tunnelprocess.py", line 108, in main_args
    tp = TunnelProcess(pipe_dir, settings, args.confdir)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/tunnelprocess.py", line 39, in __init__
    self.tunnel = mtunnel.Tunnel(settings, conf_dir)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/mtunnel.py", line 137, in __init__
    self.routeManager = route.RouteManager()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/route.py", line 23, in __init__
    self.gw = _find_default_gateway()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/route.py", line 206, in _find_default_gateway
    routing_table = proc.run_assert_ok(['netstat', '-r', '-n'])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/proc.py", line 45, in run_assert_ok
    return _get_proc().run_assert_ok(args, stdin)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/proc.py", line 159, in run_assert_ok                                                                                                                    
    (code, stdout, stderr) = run(args, stdin)                                                                                                                                                            
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/proc.py", line 37, in run                                                                                                                               
    return _get_proc().run(args, stdin)                                                                                                                                                                  
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/proc.py", line 138, in run                                                                                                                              
    proc = self.open(args)                                                                                                                                                                               
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/proc.py", line 113, in open                                                                                                                             
    **hide_window)                                                                                                                                                                                       
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 710, in __init__                                                                                                                                         
    errread, errwrite)                                                                                                                                                                                   
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1335, in _execute_child                                                                                                                                  
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

EDIT: The problem has been solved. You need to install net-tools as a dependency.

Last edited by splntrdgrss (2015-12-08 21:31:59)

#2 2015-11-01 16:02:41

ewaller
Administrator

Re: [SOLVED] Mullvad does not work.

Hello, and welcome to Arch Linux.

First things first, when posting code or program output on the forums, please use BBCode code tags around the output.  It formats things so they are much easier to read.  There is also a link for BBCode hints under every message post box on the forums.  Go ahead and edit you first post when you get a chance. Thanks.

This is clearly a situation where there is a mix up of Python versions.   The messages about the library and wxWidgets using 3.0 compatible with 2.8 are bad.

How did you install Millvad?  I ask because it seems to be an AUR package.  If that is how you installed it, I'll be moving this to AUR Issues.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2015-11-01 16:10:21

splntrdgrss

Thank you, and thanks for the tip.

Yes,  I installed Mullvad with AUR, the error is for the AUR version, the Arch wiki OpenVPN config file version has no output at all.

Regarding Python, I'm using the version as suggested by the Mullvad dependencies list in AUR. I have no idea why it does not work.

#4 2015-11-01 16:19:12

ewaller
Administrator

Okay, I installed it and got the following:

ewaller@turing ~ [130]1015 %mullvad
08:16:37: Warning: Mismatch between the program and library build versions detected.
The library used 3.0 (wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1008,wx containers,compatible with 2.8),
and wxPython used 3.0 (wchar_t,compiler with C++ ABI 1002,wx containers,compatible with 2.8).
Setting logging directory to /home/ewaller/.cache/mullvad/log

(mullvad:9249): Gtk-WARNING **: gtk_disable_setlocale() must be called before gtk_init()
==== AUTHENTICATING FOR org.freedesktop.policykit.exec ===
Authentication is needed to run `/usr/bin/mtunnel' as the super user
Authenticating as: ewaller
Password: 

And that is where I  am going to stop.    But, it seems that I am getting further than are you.
I'm going to move this then come back and work on this some more....

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2015-11-02 16:31:03

metak

I don't know why exactly the maintainer in AUR uses deb file since there's sorce code available and builds fine. Here's my 'fix'.

pkgname=mullvad
pkgver=53
pkgrel=3
pkgdesc="VPN Client for Mullvad.net, a bitcoin-friendly VPN for anonymity and privacy"
url="https://www.mullvad.net"
arch=('any')
license=('GPL3')
depends=('openvpn' 'openresolv' 'python2-appdirs' 'gksu' 'wxpython'
		  'obfsproxy' 'python2-ipaddr' 'python2-netifaces' 'python2-psutil')
makedepends=('python2-setuptools')
install='mullvad.install'
source=("https://mullvad.net/static/download/${pkgname}-${pkgver}.tar.gz")
sha256sums=('9432fdd815fdde61d98aa2b990e38060ffaaf4e552907f72f1a6ecb3f99f6f0e')

build() {
  cd "${pkgname}-${pkgver}"
  python2 setup.py build
}

package() {
  python2 setup.py install --prefix=/usr --root="$pkgdir"
}
post_install() {
    xdg-icon-resource forceupdate --theme hicolor &> /dev/null
    update-desktop-database -q
}

post_upgrade() {
    post_install
}

post_remove() {
    post_install
}

Afterwards I had to run:

/usr/lib/polkit-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1

Last edited by metak (2015-11-02 16:31:37)

#6 2015-11-02 17:06:42

splntrdgrss

metak wrote:

I don't know why exactly the maintainer in AUR uses deb file since there's sorce code available and builds fine. Here's my 'fix'.

pkgname=mullvad
pkgver=53
pkgrel=3
pkgdesc="VPN Client for Mullvad.net, a bitcoin-friendly VPN for anonymity and privacy"
url="https://www.mullvad.net"
arch=('any')
license=('GPL3')
depends=('openvpn' 'openresolv' 'python2-appdirs' 'gksu' 'wxpython'
		  'obfsproxy' 'python2-ipaddr' 'python2-netifaces' 'python2-psutil')
makedepends=('python2-setuptools')
install='mullvad.install'
source=("https://mullvad.net/static/download/${pkgname}-${pkgver}.tar.gz")
sha256sums=('9432fdd815fdde61d98aa2b990e38060ffaaf4e552907f72f1a6ecb3f99f6f0e')

build() {
  python2 setup.py build
}

package() {
  python2 setup.py install --prefix=/usr --root="$pkgdir"
}
post_install() {
    xdg-icon-resource forceupdate --theme hicolor &> /dev/null
    update-desktop-database -q
}

post_upgrade() {
    post_install
}

post_remove() {
    post_install
}

Afterwards I had to run:

/usr/lib/polkit-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1

This does not work. I take it I have to use the first section as the PKGBUILD, and the second as the mullvad.install? If so, that's what I did, and it still does not work.

The following error is output:

oading packages...
resolving dependencies...
looking for conflicting packages...

Packages (1) mullvad-53-3

Total Installed Size:  0.74 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:      0.21 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                        [#######################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                      [#######################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                           [#######################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                     [#######################################] 100%
error: failed to commit transaction (conflicting files)
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/__init__.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/bins.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/config.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/dnsconfig.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/exceptioncatcher.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/firewall.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/interfaces.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/lockfile.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/logger.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/mtunnel.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/mui.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/mullvadclient.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/netcom.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/netstring.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/obfsproxy.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/osx_net_services.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/paths.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/problemreport.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/proc.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/route.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/serverinfo.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/ssl_keys.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/tunnelcontroller.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/tunnelprocess.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/util.pyc exists in filesystem
mullvad: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/version.pyc exists in filesystem
Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

and

[user@computer ~]$ /usr/lib/polkit-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1
bash: /usr/lib/polkit-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1: No such file or directory

Running mullvad does not work. Neither does running it with sudo or kdesudo.

#7 2015-11-02 17:11:09

metak

If you installed it before then pacman should treat it as package upgrade since I've bumped the pkgrel field.
Otherwise un-install the previous package you installed from AUR and then install the new one.
Edit: polkit-gnome should maybe also be in depends? (for the polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1)

Last edited by metak (2015-11-02 17:14:53)

#8 2015-11-02 17:20:43

splntrdgrss

I removed the old package and it now installs fine. However, after installing polkit-gnome and trying to run the command you suggested I'm getting this error:

** (polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1:4489): WARNING **: Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject
Cannot register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject

This might have something to do with the fact I use KDE, not GNOME.

EDIT:

Running Mullvad outputs an error similar to the previous one:

18:30:55: Warning: Mismatch between the program and library build versions detected.
Setting logging directory to /home/user/.cache/mullvad/log
Setting logging directory to /home/user/.cache/mullvad/log
CRITICAL: An uncaught exception occured: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/mtunnel", line 9, in <module>
    load_entry_point('mullvad==53', 'console_scripts', 'mtunnel')()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/tunnelprocess.py", line 118, in main
    main_args(args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/tunnelprocess.py", line 108, in main_args
    tp = TunnelProcess(pipe_dir, settings, args.confdir)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/tunnelprocess.py", line 39, in __init__
    self.tunnel = mtunnel.Tunnel(settings, conf_dir)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/mtunnel.py", line 137, in __init__
    self.routeManager = route.RouteManager()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/route.py", line 23, in __init__
    self.gw = _find_default_gateway()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/route.py", line 206, in _find_default_gateway
    routing_table = proc.run_assert_ok(['netstat', '-r', '-n'])
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/proc.py", line 45, in run_assert_ok
    return _get_proc().run_assert_ok(args, stdin)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/proc.py", line 159, in run_assert_ok
    (code, stdout, stderr) = run(args, stdin)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/proc.py", line 37, in run
    return _get_proc().run(args, stdin)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/proc.py", line 138, in run
    proc = self.open(args)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/mullvad/proc.py", line 113, in open
    **hide_window)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 710, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1335, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Last edited by splntrdgrss (2015-11-02 17:27:51)

#9 2015-11-02 17:26:57

metak

splntrdgrss wrote:

This might have something to do with the fact I use KDE, not GNOME.

If you have 'polkit-kde' installed, run:

/usr/lib/kde4/libexec/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1

if 'polkit-kde-agent' then try:

/usr/lib/polkit-kde/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1

Edit: after this I run 'mullvad' and I get 'Get Started' mullvad screen to connect...

Last edited by metak (2015-11-02 17:31:49)

#10 2015-11-02 17:31:52

splntrdgrss

I've tried both, and both output errors, which are as follows:

polkit-kde:

[user@computer ~]$ /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
New PolkitAgentListener  0x1f91420 
Adding new listener  PolkitQt1::Agent::Listener(0x2081ed0) for  0x1f91420 

** (process:4602): WARNING **: Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject
"Cannot register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject" 

polkit-kde-agent:

[user@computer ~]$ /usr/lib/polkit-kde/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1
New PolkitAgentListener  0x18a7120
Adding new listener  PolkitQt1::Agent::Listener(0x18deca0) for  0x18a7120
Listener online

** (process:4648): WARNING **: Unable to register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject
"Cannot register authentication agent: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: An authentication agent already exists for the given subject"
Authentication agent result: false
Couldn't register listener!
Invalid service name "/org/kde/polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1" using: "/org/kde/polkitkdeauthenticationagent1"

#11 2015-12-08 21:33:28

splntrdgrss

If anyone's been wondering what the solution to this problem is, you need to install the net-tools package as a dependency. After talking with the package mantainer, this has been added to the dependency list. The Mullvad package has also been updated and moved to the tarball. Thanks to everyone for your help.

Board footer