You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-12 20:18:21

tracuboTL

delete/move to trash doesn't work from apps for an external partition

Hi all,
I've my data partition (formerly a /home of a Fedora installation) in a separated partition. Let's call it /prev_fedora_home
My home datas folder (i.e. tracuboTL/Music or tracuboTL/Pictures) is symlinked to this partion (tracuboTL/Music ---> /prev_fedora_home/Music).
The idea is to share data between different Linux installation.

What appen is that when I try to delete/move to trash files from Rhytmnbox or Gnome-Photos they aren't deleted at all.
What I have noticed is that in Nautilus I can only permanentely delete this files: there's no option for move to trash

How I can set this data to be correctly managed from apps?

actual permission are
owner: me
permission: rw

Group: user
permission: r

Other
permission: r

execution of files is disabled

help

#2 2015-11-12 21:27:27

ayekat

Re: delete/move to trash doesn't work from apps for an external partition

The "trash" is usually located at ~/.local/Trash. If you try to trash files that are on a different partition, it would need to physically move the files to the "trash-partition" (as opposed to simply renaming/moving the hard link on the same partition), which is clearly not an option.

After a quick search on the interwebs, I've furthermore found this: if the file is not on the same partition as /home/<user>, Nautilus attempts to trash the files in /.Trash-<uid> on that particular partition - this will obviously fail (unless your user's got write permissions at the root of /prev_fedora).

[EDIT] So for your problem, I assume you'd need to create a /prev_fedora/.Trash-1000 (assuming your uid is 1000), and chown/chmod it such that you've got write access to it.

Last edited by ayekat (2015-11-12 21:29:28)

pkgshackscfgblag

#3 2015-12-12 16:27:40

tracuboTL

It work! thanks!

#4 2015-12-15 08:08:33

ayekat

Glad it works!

Don't forget to mark your thread as solved by prepending [SOLVED] to your thread title.

pkgshackscfgblag

Board footer