You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-13 00:04:06

digitalblade

HDD 1/3 of the sectors locked after update

I notice a strange problem a week ago when I updated.

On my PC (AMD Phenom x2 550, nVidia 560) I was locked on the starting of Arch Linux with the massage that a great number of my HDD sectors were locked around 1/3 of the entire Drive.
I assumed that was my HDD failing and just no more working, so I moved on. However now after updating my Laptop the exact same thing happens.
This massage is given very early at the boot sequence and I cannot get in to the Linux at any way, it just blocks the PC.
I tried using the Samsung HDD tool to fix the sectors but no luck I had to wipe the drives.

I am pretty sure I updated in a mouth time, so the issue must have been caused buy some of the latest updates. The problem is I had no way to get to logs on my systems.
So there is no way for anyone to help me but maybe just tell me if anyone have seen a similar problem recently or before.

Ok I also cannot install any linux on the same HDDs on the PC and Laptop ... I tried so far Lubuntu, Xubuintu, Manjaro, the only think that ran was DamnSmallLinux as live image. This is really problematic. I am getting a graphical error - black white stripes or pixelated screen of the different installations. I tryed wiping off the Drives before the install adepts but it's the same. Is it possible that this latest arch updates destroyed both my HDDs on 2 different machines. They act the same way.

Last edited by digitalblade (2015-11-13 01:07:26)

#2 2015-11-13 19:38:22

Lone_Wolf

Re: HDD 1/3 of the sectors locked after update

This will be very hard to troubleshoot as you wiped the drives.

Do you remember at which point of the boot the message "sectors locked" appeared ?
Before bootloadermenu, when starting arch, after loading intramfs ?

What filesystems did you use ?

Try booting with archlinux install iso (or any live distro that has SMART onboard) and post SMART test output on the drives , see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/S.M.A.R.T. .
That should help to figure out if this was a software or hardware issue.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#3 2015-11-20 07:21:45

digitalblade

At the exact start. But it appears it must be something normal. I installed Ubuntu 15.10 on a different drive and I get the same "/dev/sd.. clean,  Num,ber1/number2 files, number3/number4 blocked" massage but it runs fine. I also get the same massage on both my fresh arch linux installations on my PC and my Laptop. I think this massage is not my problem.

However that massage comes right after
"starting version 227"
So yea it's at the very start of the boot process.

Filesystem was always ext4

It turns out I must have had bad luck with a lot of new Distros. Ubuntu does install fine. So I am back at figuring out why Arch can't suddenly boot on both my systems. I also tested Manjaro and it has the exact same problem.

However I surprisingly manage to boot both of the machines after installing arch with Architect Linux. The problem is on my PC it happened only once after the installation process. On my Laptop I rebooted around 3 times and it worked fine till I tried to start it the next time. I have 0 clue why 2 fresh installs will boot 1-3 times and then have the same problem all over again.

It seems some times the boot process stops after the first 2 lines of boot log, others after a bit later and out of the blue maybe sometimes it boots fine.
I will post a picture how both machines get to the exact same place and stop.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/gPu8F … 0-h1080-rw

I admit on my PC it might be a problem with the HDD. But my laptop never had a problem with it's drive and I test installed windows 10 on it, just fine before the new Arch installation to make sure that it's hardware is still functional.

On my PC I have also completely checked and erased my HDD before the new Arch Linux installation to make sure it is functional and tested it on Ubuntu 15.10 

I will experiment more. I definitely won't give up Arch because of this. I am just battled with how both of my machines that have nothing incommon with their hardware have the same problem.

--  read the Forum Etiquette and only post thumbnails http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/For … s_and_code [jwr] --

#4 2015-11-20 12:49:38

Lone_Wolf

The pic appears to be in webp-format, and i can't view it.

The distros you tried do give a hint about where the problem may lie .

On arch, systemd checks drives/partitions very early in the boot process.

This check is likely the source of the error message.

Try to find out what systemd version manajaro , ubuntu and architectlinux use.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer