You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-17 04:24:24

Banter

[Solved]Strange ethernet interface issue on new install

Hello,

I'm experiencing this weird problem with my ethernet connection. I just built my first computer with a Asus Z97-A/USB3.1 motherboard and am trying to install arch. The first time around I was able to follow the beginner's guide very successfully and was able to access the internet just fine. Long story short, at some point during the installation I lost connection and it seems my ethernet interface has disappeared. I think after I successfully installed on my hdd then rebooted but I'm really not sure. I thought it may have been a specific package i installed. The module for this ethernet appears to be e1000e gotten from lspci -v. It's an Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I218-V.

Before "ip link" showed lo and en01, my ethernet but now it only shows lo?! I've searched around and found very little about except this thread and this one.

I tried updating my bios to a newer version and reflashing my current bios. I've tried rmmod e1000e and modprobe e1000e and I've also tried loading module igb. I've fiddled with my uefi bios settings quite a bit to no avail. I've reinstalled my arch.iso on my usb and tried to reinstall. Other links were mentioning something about a cold boot problem that was fixed on reboot but mine just doesn't work at all.

"dmesg | grep e1000" 
probe of 0000:00:19:0 failed with error -2. 

Sorry I'm writing from my other computer and don't want to type all the output manually.

What is error -2? Are the other numbers some sort of address to the ethernet port? Do you think it could be a settings issue in one of the config files? If so which ones should I check? How do I install and use the right driver when running from an arch disk image?

I'm so confused why it was working before and now it has stopped. Nonetheless, any suggestions and considerations are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Banter (2015-11-24 02:53:35)

#2 2015-11-17 06:24:47

Banter

Re: [Solved]Strange ethernet interface issue on new install

I fixed this by simply unplugging the power cord to my desktop, waiting 30 seconds, and plugging it back in. Not sure how it was getting messed up in the first place but will report if I can find the cause of this problem.

Board footer