You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-24 19:44:09

lynix

pam_systemd fails to setup dbus user bus: Connection timed out

News 2015-09-20: D-Bus now launches user buses

Jan Steffens wrote:

The packages systemd 226-1 plus dbus 1.10.0-3 now launch dbus-daemon once per user; all sessions of a user will share the same D-Bus "session" bus. The pam_systemd module ensures that the right DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is set at login.
This also permits dbus-daemon to defer to systemd for activation instead of spawning server processes itself. However, currently this is not commonly used for session services (as opposed to system services).
kdbus will only support this model, so this is also an opportunity to iron out some bugs and make a future transition to kernel buses easier. Please let us know of any issues.

Well, since the aforementioned upgrade I'm indeed having issues, so I'd like to let you know.

I'm using lightdm, configured with auto-login for my user (as described in the wiki), starting awesome as window manager. After launching lightdm the system hangs for a few seconds, then I'm dropped in an awesome (wm) session in Xorg, without DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS set and without any dbus instance started, which means that no dbus-dependant applications work (gnome-keyring, owncloud, etc.). In the system journal I see this:

Nov 24 17:48:33 thor lightdm[671]: pam_systemd(lightdm-autologin:session): Failed to create session: Connection timed out

Logging out and back in fixes the issue, dbus user instance running, DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS then set correctly and applications working again. The issue appears in roundabout 3 of 4 bootups, so I suspect a timing problem between starting the dbus user bus instance and lightdm setting up the session.

Any idea what might be wrong here?

Cheers

lynix

#2 2015-12-06 08:31:34

lynix

Re: pam_systemd fails to setup dbus user bus: Connection timed out

Well, seems I'm the only one that experiences this.

Found a workaround: using lxdm instead of lightdm as display manager.

#3 2015-12-06 15:05:55

parchd

Funnily enough I'm having a similar problem that started after upgrading something today. Still tracking down what went wrong, but I use sddm and openbox.

#4 2015-12-09 14:39:42

lynix

Any new findings on this? I'm digging as well, wondering what it is that pam_systemd fails to connect to...

Board footer