You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-10 22:37:58

normc
Website

kmail vers thunderbird

I'm in the process of switching from thunderbird to kmail.
My only question is why didn't somebody tell me about kmail sooner :!:

Norm

#2 2006-04-10 22:53:54

ozar

Re: kmail vers thunderbird

I'm generally not a KDE user but when I do run it, Kmail is always my preferred email client.  It's simple and fast, and does all I need.

oz

#3 2006-04-11 00:28:43

T-Dawg
Forum Fellow

Yeah, its hard to beat kmail. I too don't use kde but when I do thats what I use. I couldn't stand thunderbird or evolution. They just didn't do what I wanted and I couldn't justify amount of memory they used to run any of them. Sylpheed seems to fit me perfectly and doesn't use much memory. Its my second choice behind kmail 8)

#4 2006-04-11 13:07:48

Snarkout

I love kmail - some people hate it since there is kind of a bizarre abstraction between your inbound and outbound accounts, but I personally find this flexibility useful.  It *is* a lot slower than tbird though (IME) - I can launch, pop, and send a message in tbird in the time it takes kmail to launch and poll all of my accounts, especially if there's imap involved.

A word of advice though - in misc config, uncheck full text indexing if you find it checked.  It eats cpu like mad for the first minute or five after you launch kmail , and causes kmail to crash constantly.  At least this has been my experience on multiple machines.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#5 2006-04-11 16:04:05

rasat
Forum Fellow
Website

For me the selection of mail client is not the simplicity or speed but how it handles large number of daily mails, if received. Mails have different priorities, required responses and follow ups. In this regard I thought Evolution does well but two days ago I changed to Thunderbird. The sorting and filtering of mails Tb does excellently. The variety of marking and labeling mails is well designed, and also be customized.

Markku

#6 2006-04-11 16:36:22

viniosity
Website

Kmail is the single reason I moved to KDE after years on Gnome.  I can't stand Evolution.. the team simply refuses to give the user an option to move deleted messages to a trash folder. Instead they force you to mark it deleted and keep it in the inbox which absolutely SUCKS on the rare occasions when you have to use webmail.

Thunderbird is a nifty email client. I really like it more than kmail in a few ways but two things keep it off my current system:

1. It hangs a lot when sending messages (gets stuck copying to the sent messages folder on my imap server.  I have reproduced this problem over 3 different IMAP servers on over 10 different computers on 2 different platforms).

2. No beagle integration.  Kmail works with beagle but thunderbird doesn't.  Beagle isn't perfect but it has come in really handy when I need it to.

Geez.. why didn't anyone tell *me* about kmail earlier!?!

smile

#7 2006-04-11 17:48:21

ozar

viniosity wrote:

I can't stand Evolution..

Yeah, I've never been able to like Evolution, either.

As for Kmail, it's not perfect but it's darned good.  In fact all of KDE's built-in programs are pretty darned good.

oz

#8 2006-04-11 18:35:02

cactus
Taco Eater
Website

why I hate evolution

I like gnome, and am not much of a kde fan. I used to use kde, but haven't really regretted the move away from it. I do miss kate and kmail though.

I currently use tbird..because it doesn't piss me off as much as some others. I might give sylpheed a try again (tried it a while ago..but that was before gtk+)

"Be conservative in what you send; be liberal in what you accept." -- Postel's Law
"tacos" -- Cactus' Law
"t̥͍͎̪̪͗a̴̻̩͈͚ͨc̠o̩̙͈ͫͅs͙͎̙͊ ͔͇̫̜t͎̳̀a̜̞̗ͩc̗͍͚o̲̯̿s̖̣̤̙͌ ̖̜̈ț̰̫͓ạ̪͖̳c̲͎͕̰̯̃̈o͉ͅs̪ͪ ̜̻̖̜͕" -- -̖͚̫̙̓-̺̠͇ͤ̃ ̜̪̜ͯZ͔̗̭̞ͪA̝͈̙͖̩L͉̠̺͓G̙̞̦͖O̳̗͍

#9 2006-04-11 18:46:13

scarecrow

I also use thunderbird, mainly because it used to be my mail app when I was still using windoze.
But I think I will soon move to kmail, simply because its a better client- factly, its improvement since KDE 3.2.0 to date is really shocking.

Microshaft delenda est

#10 2006-04-11 19:21:34

IceRAM
Website

I've been using KMail ever since.. hmm.. for a long time...

Things I really like about KMail:
1.The "live-quicksearch" bar above the mail list is wonderful.
a) move/copy any mail to Drafts folder (even from Sent Items/Outbox)
b) *edit* it again big_smile
3. a custom rule I've created + shortcut assigned for breaking a mail-thread - I often see new mails on maillists stuck in the middle of some threads because some people are lazy enough only click reply

Enjoy KMail!

#11 2006-04-11 20:51:22

Neuro

I used TB since version 0.3 or even 0.2, can't remember now. It's been a long long time ago. I really enjoyed it under windows. It was really fast and somehow felt more "complete" than OE, despite it's beta stage.

However, when I moved to Linux, and begun using it more and more, I realised TB wasn't that great at all. True, it allowed me to share profiles between Windows and Linux (i linked some of the profile files together and used a separate ext2 partition for it), but it felt sluggish. And, since KDE was my DE, it lacked integration.

I tried out Kmail and at first I felt lost. Completely. Suddenly I had to configure everything the way I liked it, waaay differently than Kmail's default. But... it allowed me to do so, a big plus of the KDE's philosophy. The only thing I really missed from TB was, the already trained, spam filter.  I tired spamassasin, but it was painfully slow and really sucked. After that, bogofitler came to the rescue, and that's what I'm using now.

And yea, I had to turn off the full text indexing.

#12 2006-04-11 21:56:21

tbroderick

How about a  procmail/mutt combo. Works great for me.

#13 2006-04-12 12:54:57

arooaroo
Website

IceRAM wrote:

I've been using KMail ever since.. hmm.. for a long time...

Things I really like about KMail:
1.The "live-quicksearch" bar above the mail list is wonderful.
a) move/copy any mail to Drafts folder (even from Sent Items/Outbox)
b) *edit* it again big_smile
3. a custom rule I've created + shortcut assigned for breaking a mail-thread - I often see new mails on maillists stuck in the middle of some threads because some people are lazy enough only click reply

Enjoy KMail!

I like how when you click send, and you have a message like "I've attached the document" but you haven't actually attached anything, it prompts you!

#14 2006-04-12 16:57:10

lilsirecho
Veteran

Recent changes in Kmail have limited the POP modes to APOP. 

My internet server for mail enables only POP3 thus, due to recent changes in Kmail, I cannot use same.

Prediction...This year will be a very odd year!
Hard work does not kill people but why risk it: Charlie Mccarthy
A man is not complete until he is married..then..he is finished.
When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#15 2006-04-12 18:13:49

Snarkout

lilsirecho wrote:

Recent changes in Kmail have limited the POP modes to APOP. 

My internet server for mail enables only POP3 thus, due to recent changes in Kmail, I cannot use same.

Really?  Do you have linkage to informationa bout this?  I use pop3 just fine currently.

Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth.
-Albert Einstein

#16 2006-04-12 19:09:30

lilsirecho
Veteran

Can't establish my receiving account with kmail setup since it now only supports APOP.

I THINK THIS OCCURRED WITH kde 3.5.  An EXTRASELECTION TAB  lists several options but pop3 is not included in the kmail setup.

I can send mail but not receive in kmail.

I use mozilla mail or webmail through my server.

I have no background data from KDE, they did change their programming for mail, however.

When ALL is lost, what can be found? Even bytes get lonely for a little bit!     X-ray confirms Iam spineless!

#17 2006-04-12 19:20:34

lilsirecho
Veteran

Can't establish my receiving account with kmail setup since it now only supports APOP.

I THINK THIS OCCURRED WITH kde 3.5.  An EXTRASELECTION TAB  lists several options but pop3 is not included in the kmail setup.

I can send mail but not receive in kmail.

I use mozilla mail or webmail through my server.

I have no background data from KDE, they did change their programming for mail, however.

Board footer