You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-28 10:16:26

old_boots

password request installing package from AUR

I have been using arch for some months, but only now needed to use the AUR.
I followed the instructions to install a package on https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Ar … Repository

I got to the point of running

$ makepkg -sri 

The Wiki helpfully explains that
-s automatically resolves dependencies with pacman before building
-r removes build-time dependencies after building
-i will install the package itself

I got a little bit confused when I ran this, as I was asked for my password.
I don't understand how fakeroot works, but I got the impression from the wiki that a password wouldn't be required.

Am I right in thinking that

$ makepkg -sr 

should not actually require a password?
And that this spits out a file package.pkg.tar.xz
And then running the command

$ pacman -U package.pkg.tar.xz 

does require a password, in the same way as installing a package from the community repositories?

#2 2015-11-28 10:57:49

ooo

Re: password request installing package from AUR

makepkg -s installs missing dependencies using pacman, which requires root permissions to install packages. Since you can't run makepkg as root, makepkg will try to run pacman with root permissions using sudo.

Depending on your sudoers configuration, sudo may ask for your password. Thereby when makepkg -s tries to install missing dependencies, sudo may ask for your password to install missing dependencies.

It's the same thing if you install packages using pacman -U/-S as regular user with sudo.

#3 2015-11-28 13:52:31

respiranto
Website

Re: password request installing package from AUR

ooo wrote:

makepkg -s installs missing dependencies using pacman, which requires root permissions to install packages. Since you can't run makepkg as root, makepkg will try to run pacman with root permissions using sudo.

Depending on your sudoers configuration, sudo may ask for your password. Thereby when makepkg -s tries to install missing dependencies, sudo may ask for your password to install missing dependencies.

It's the same thing if you install packages using pacman -U/-S as regular user with sudo.

The same is true for -r and -i, unless there is nothing to be removed, i.e. -r does nothing.

Board footer