You are not logged in.

#1 2015-11-29 23:02:41

Chromoris

(Solved) Nvidia + dual screen not working correctly

So I did a big update of my system and following the update I ran into quite the problem.

1. At first X refused to work properly (SDDM refused to start and GDM gave similar problems)
2. So I installed Nouveau in order to bypass the problem (I use nvidia because my card is not yet 100% supported)
3. After that X gave more problems, and the constant flickering of the screen almost prevented me from fixing it.
4. Uninstalled Nouveau and went back to nvidia
5. Somehow it "works", I can log in again, but the resolution is all off and my second monitor doesn't work anymore.

So that is as far as I have come.

The problem is that my second screen isn't working and the primary screen has its resolution all wrong. While the screen is configured for 1080p, there are huge black bars around it and the resolution is more like 720p. Furthermore when I check on the command line it tells me that I'm using the nvidia driver. However firing up nvidia-settings I get the error that the driver being loaded is not nvidia (weird). And when I force the system to use  the nvidia driver by editing 20-nvidia.conf I end up with a garbled screen. I'm at the end of my wits (and nerves), no idea what the problem is and I could use some assistance.

If you need any further information, I'm happy to oblige.

Last edited by Chromoris (2015-11-30 07:20:09)

#2 2015-11-30 07:19:57

Chromoris

Re: (Solved) Nvidia + dual screen not working correctly

Well, after looking at it again I managed to solve it. I used the Arch linux archive to do a rollback of the following packages: xorg-server (all packages), xf86-input-evdev, xf86-input-keyboard, xf86-input-libinput, xf86-input-mouse and xf86-input-synaptics.

Looks like that xorg-server version 1.18 has some serious issues concerning nvidia. I'm adding the above mentioned packages to IgnorePkg in pacman.conf to prevent them from being upgraded. While a rollback isn't theoretically a solution to the above problem, it did fix  my situation, so marking the thread as solved.

Board footer