You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-01 22:40:27

willmr

Desktop environment question [SOLVED]

First Hello.

I'm a Arch Linux user, and i learn things with arch almost everyday.

My question is, i have a dell inspirion 14 notebook, which runs at 1366 x 768, and i want to save space in my screen, I'm a front-end dev and for programing in php,html5,css3 is cool to have a clean view of the screen,  i was wondering if there is some desktop enviroment or if i can do this on xfce, i want to have the window aplication tool bar in the desktop tool bar at the top, something like unity does (or mac os), so i can save more space on my screen, because i use plank and i don't need a window management to minimize and maximize in the desktop toolbar. and i don't want to use unity because isn't official supported by Arch.

Sorry for my bad english.

Last edited by willmr (2015-12-02 01:15:05)

#2 2015-12-01 23:31:00

dcj123

Re: Desktop environment question [SOLVED]

I am not sure I follow what you want but if you want something like Mac OS you might want to look at the avant window navigator (AWN). You can change the position of AWN if I recall from when I used it, see https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Av … _Navigator

#3 2015-12-01 23:58:39

willmr

Thanks but I use Plank as a dock.

I want a way that i can remove a application tool bar and put in the desktop toolbar, the application that is opening,   because there isn't a reason for me to use a window list in the desktop tool bar since i have the Plank dock.

I'm using Xfce btw.

Last edited by willmr (2015-12-02 00:00:42)

#4 2015-12-02 00:01:23

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Then just remove the toolbar.  *confused*

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#5 2015-12-02 00:06:25

dcj123

I am confused as well but I have an Arch Linux rig I am about to nuke so let me install xfce and see if I can't find a solution. I believe you can create a toolbar on xfce if one doesn't exist by right clicking the bar but I will do some testing and report back.

Edit - Results of me fiddling around,

willmr wrote:

...because there isn't a reason for me to use a window list in the desktop tool bar since i have the Plank dock...

Oh I think I understand now that I installed xfce and read this line again, easy solution. do you see the five very small dots right next to the application menu? Right click and it should say windows buttons, click remove. Also you can customize the bar completely by right clicking anywhere on the xfce bar and going Panel -> Add New Items. Personally I would delete everything from the bar and just customize it the way you want.

Last edited by dcj123 (2015-12-02 00:18:33)

#6 2015-12-02 00:14:08

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Of course you can.  You can create as many or few toolbars as you want in XFCE.  You can change their look, size, etc, etc.  I don't use any DE (which should also be an option for the OP), but XFCE is quite possibly the most configurable major DE.

willmr, have you tried customizing the toolbars?  Are you sure you want to stay with XFCE rather than a standalone WM?

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#7 2015-12-02 00:57:07

willmr

Sorry for not be able to explain right what I want.

here is what i want.

My Desktop right now.
http://puu.sh/lG3j3/18cddcd648.png

What i want
http://puu.sh/lG3qb/52c0b3671b.png

Also thanks @Trilby I will search about standalone WM, i was looking and seems very good, i was thiking in use openbox to customize but standalone WM seems better.

-- mod edit: replace img with url tags.  Trilby --

Last edited by Trilby (2015-12-02 01:03:05)

#8 2015-12-02 01:02:30

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

openbox is a standalone WM - and it'd be the one I'd recommend to someone coming from a background only with DEs.

As to your question, the images help - I've replaced them with links as they are too big for the forums.  But there is no way to do this in linux.  This can be done in OSX (and it could be done in Windows) as there is only one toolkit/API that all GUI programs must use.  In linux there is no one way to draw menus.  Different programs do it differently.

Unity can pull this off by restricting which programs can be run (GTK3 only, if I understand correctly).

But whether the menu bar is above or below the title bar of the window, they'd take up the same amount of space.  Just get rid of that other bar that you don't want, and you'll have that screen space back.

#9 2015-12-02 01:13:39

willmr

Thanks very much Trilby and dcj123, for the help, you're right Trilby i will try to find another solution, maybe get rid of the top bar, also thanks for share the knowledge.

Sorry for any impropriety.

Board footer